installing drivers

Old 12-27-08, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy installing drivers

I have an old Gateway Solo laptop with Windows NT that crushed. Thus, I had to partition, format the hard disk, and reinstall the Windows NT operating system. Everything seems OK except that, although I restored the original boot sequence in BIOS, the display looks like in "save mode". I am checking the truobleshooting guide, and it states that after reinstalling the operating system, I may need to install the hardware device drivers manually. I have the name and location of the files and the instructions state to install such drivers from the Windonws NT control panel or run the executable file listed...

name: 2550 windows NT 4.0 display

No more instructions were given. What are the steps needed to execute the files? or what are the steps to install the files from the Windows NT control panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-08, 03:52 AM
Exclamation Here is my 2 cents...

Most laptops have a reserved partition that contains all the diagnostics and restore device drivers needed for that particular system. When your system crashed, you should have used their restore CD to bring back the system, instead you manually partitioned the harddrive and wiped everything clean! well, inadvertently... I am assuming that not only the display, but other devices such as audio and network drivers may not have been installed correctly as well now.

Try these steps:
1. Rightclick on the desk top, select the properties menu
2. On the 'Display properties' dialog, select the 'Settings tab'
3. Adjust the screen resolution control to match the native-resolution of your laptop.

This should fix the 'safe mode' look and feel.

Else, download all the drivers for this model from the Gateway's support site and manually install each one of them! Well, if the network driver itself is not working currently, then you are in for a day's worth of painful workout! LOL (I meant, downloading all drivers using another PC, copying all of them through a flashdrive or some sort to your laptop one by one... etc.)

BTW, you just formatted the drive, then how could you expect anything be still there in that path \2550\WINNT40\DISPLAY\ magically that belongs to the previous installation?

Last edited by ForeverKnight; 12-28-08 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-28-08, 04:05 PM
drivers

I did use the portable system restoration CD. However, reinstalling the operating system requires a manual reinstallation of the drivers. The drives are not automatically installed from the CD, however, it tells me where they are. The instructions on the troubleshooting guide say: press P to print the list of drivers or write down the driver location. Remove the CD, then restart the computer. Use the driver name and location information to install the driver in Windows NT. The instructions on the driver locator utility from the CD states: "log on with local administrator rights and install your drivers from the Windows NT control panel or run the executable file listed." Then, it lists all the file names and locations. Again, where do I enter \2550\WINNT40\DISPLAY\?