Adding Wireless to DSL Modem

Old 12-28-08, 02:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Wireless to DSL Modem

My Mom has DSL using a modem that is physically connected to the phone line. Everything is working perfectly. My sister will be visiting for a few months and wants to use her wireless laptop. I want to add a wireless router so she can use her laptop around the apartment. I don't want to change my Mom's wired setup. What do I need to do to add the wired modem setup so they will have wireless capability?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-08, 02:47 PM
buy a wireless router , unplug moms computer from the modem , plug the router into the modem , plug moms computer into the router reboot everything and your set

I suggest you set security up on the router so no one else can access it or better yet disable wireless and only activate it while your sister is there (along with the security )

Old 12-28-08, 02:52 PM
That sounds good. I have a wireless modem here at our place with the security enabled. Will I need to run a lot of new software install type stuff to get the new wireless router to work? When I set up DSL here with the wireless, we had a lot of calls to AT&T to get it set up.

Old 12-28-08, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
You may need a wireless adapter that gets plugged into the laptop. I have a second computer and a laptop and the second computer needs the adapter and the laptop sometimes needs it and sometimes not, so better to have it.
The "N" routers require a security password which is a good thing. I'm using Linksys N.
Yes there's software to install, but it was quick and easy.

Old 12-28-08, 03:12 PM
The laptop has built in wireless. Shouldn't that be OK? They are using it on a wireless network up North. I assume that the wireless router comes with software??? The one I have was left by the previous owner and I had to get it installed with help from AT&T. I'm hoping the new router comes with everything they will need.

Old 12-28-08, 03:16 PM
most all laptops have built in wireless if it works up north it should work fine

Old 12-28-08, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
My computer (both) and the laptop, all have built-in wireless but still need the adapter. You can always try it out first and buy the adapter later if you need it.
A wireless network is very different from a home computer using a wireless router.
Yes, a new router will come with everything you need.

Old 12-28-08, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the info and help. Sounds like I'll buy the same one I have, wireless router, and try to set it up. If we need a new adapter, I'm sure the same store will have it.
Thanks again

Old 12-29-08, 05:47 AM
A wireless network is very different from a home computer using a wireless router.
how so ?..........................

Old 12-29-08, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
If you're saying that my home computer with it's little rinky dink router has as much power and signal strength as a large wireless network that supplies a whole area, then my little router should be able to get my whole neighborhood online.
I don't think so!
If it can, then yeah, I guess they're the same.
I can't even get my second computer online without the adapter. Beer 4U2

Old 12-29-08, 08:47 AM
f you're saying that my home computer with it's little rinky dink router has as much power and signal strength as a large wireless network that supplies a whole area, then my little router should be able to get my whole neighborhood online.
what I'm saying is they are both a "wireless network " using the same protocols to connect you to the network and the web or other workstations

the power difference isnt even all that great , just a matter off access points and antennas
(with some strategically placed access points we could lite up your whole neighborhood with your current router )

but basically there is no great differences from your $59.00 homeowner router vs a $590,000.00 campus wide system (as to basics the campus router will do lots more but nothing that a homowner would need )

they both do the same thing , the same way and are both "wireless networks"
so A wireless network is not very different from a home computer using a wireless router. they are in fact basicly the same

Old 12-29-08, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
My point being don't expect the same results. Power has everything to do with it.

Old 12-29-08, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Yep, the main thing I think that confuses some people when they think Network, is that all the PC's should see and talk to each other (as in be able to transfer files and share printers).

You can have 2 PC's wirelessly connected to the internet using the same modem/router, but they are technically probably not considered a network if they don't talk to each other?

Thats the way I try to explain it anyway.

I know its not that hard to get it to work as a true network with the right software and hardware, but it's not as easy as just accessing the Net, in my experience.

Old 12-29-08, 09:03 AM
the home router has its distance limitations as does the wireless WAN

the homeowner grade will cover most houses , most offices and will often reach the neighbors

(sitting here I can see 5 neighbors networks I guarantee they are all using homeowner grade routers )

I can sit in my backyard and access my el cheapo router just fine

do you honestly think anyone reading this thread is expecting to provide a network to their entire community with a homeowner grade router ?

the OP just wants his sister to be able to access the web in the mothers apartment

Old 12-29-08, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Yep, the main thing I think that confuses some people when they think Network, is that all the PC's should see and talk to each other (as in be able to transfer files and share printers).

You can have 2 PC's wirelessly connected to the internet using the same modem/router, but they are technically probably not considered a network if they don't talk to each other?

Thats the way I try to explain it anyway.

I know its not that hard to get it to work as a true network with the right software and hardware, but it's not as easy as just accessing the Net, in my experience.
if they connect to a common router then they are networked

its just a matter of settings and permissions to have them see each other and share files thats where knowledge and skill come in

Old 12-29-08, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
MM yeah, I know they really are on the same network. Just like all the machines at HD, even if they can't talk to each other. I meant I just explain it that way. Some folks, such as the OP, may not really need all the interconnection, as you stated.

I said in another thread, I can't get mine and my wifes to share reliably, she has Vista and I have XP. Got everything working a couple of times, but seemed like every reboot it would all have to be reset. Now we just use the same internet connection.
Maybe I'll try messing with it again later.

Anyway, your second post should cover anything he needs.

Old 12-29-08, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
do you honestly think anyone reading this thread is expecting to provide a network to their entire community with a homeowner grade router ?
I think that's what you were saying since you said they're the same, no?

the OP just wants his sister to be able to access the web in the mothers apartment
Yes, that's why I said they may need an adapter since it may not work the way it did with the wireless network up north.

Old 12-29-08, 12:14 PM
There are several "flavors" of wireless, which is why you may need an adapter or not, even if the laptop already has wireless capability.

If you don't want to worry about it, make sure the wireless router you buy has the same wireless networking type as the laptop. So if the laptop sports 802.11n connectivity, buy that type of router. If the laptop is an 802.11g flavor, buy a router that supports 802.11g.

If you are having problems with wireless devices working only sometimes, try changing the channel the router is using. Overlapping channels can cause connectivity problems.

Old 01-19-09, 05:22 PM
Quote: "If you are having problems with wireless devices working only sometimes, try changing the channel the router is using. Overlapping channels can cause connectivity problems."
Channels will not overlap if they conform to the rules. They could collide, but the router should know enough to re-broadcast the 'get ready guys' and the net devices should know to listen for it.
Windows XP and Vista both want to be 'bosses' of the network. It depends on who boots first, and the DHCP, DNS, and other stuff that occurs when a vote is taken as to which machine is to be 'boss'. (just after boot, both machines would send out packets asking who's running the show, and if the 'sender' has more 'horsepower', it can depose the current boss, leading to stuff appearing and disappearing on the 'network neighborhood'. That is a truly crud explanation, but it gets the idea across...
tom