economy cable internet

Old 12-28-08, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
economy cable internet

anyone have it ? any issues ? i currently have a pIII 730 computer. is that going to be an issue ? i'm looking around for a better one. i always buy used. i don't need the latest/fastest stuff.
i don't know what modem i need. can you help ?

thanx a ton.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-08, 03:39 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
What is "economy cable " Internet? I know of several ways to connect to the Internet but other than dial-up or lifetime limited speed DSL I wouldn't classify any of them as economy.

Old 12-30-08, 02:08 PM
I'm on the "cheap" cable internet plan. I pay $45 a month for it and it's 3meg down and like 256 up. Kinda sucks but I'm not paying $65/month for internet.

Oh yeah, sounds like it's time to upgrade the pc , no really it should be okay, just a little slow.

Old 12-30-08, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ouch $45 and they call that the cheap one? Thats what we have as well, here its the High Speed option but the upload is about double. They tell us they will be increasing the download next year.

Our cheap version here is $20, don't know what the specs are...lemme see...no, can't find it. I remember when I first got the 1 Meg cable, I was perfectly happy with it, course now we stram movies and stuff, so it might be iffy.

Old 12-30-08, 03:05 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Out here Comcast has about a thousand different prices for cable Internet service. Most are limited time offers of about three to six month durations but you can often get them to extend it if you tell them you will go elsewhere.

I was paying about $45 for 5/2 service and told them I was considering going to Verizon FiOS and they gave me the same service for six months at about $29. Then I did go to FiOS for about $39 for 5/2 service. The FiOs is MUCH more stable but I had to go with a two year contract. Comcast is always month-to-month.

Verizon was offering DSL (I don't remember the speed) for $14.95 guaranteed for life or until they stopped offering DSL service. I would have gone for that except for some miscommunications.

Old 12-30-08, 07:44 PM
economy high speed, here, is 1mg. i'm on dialup at about 40kbs. i don't do movies or gaming or music. though i will probably youtube. otherwise its just the forums, research and ebay. so 1 mg will be plenty. $60 a month for regular is overkill for me. i would already have dsl, but i can't get it here.

they want $3 a month to rent the modem. i'm going to do that for the 1st month till i can buy my own.

thanx