Upgrade Old Dimension 4600

Old 12-31-08, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrade Old Dimension 4600

I have a Dimension 4600, the older one with the 40 gb hard drive and whatnot, and I'm trying to simply upgrade the hard drive space. I bought this hard drive.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive - ST3160815A - Buy.com

I believe it is the correct kind. My BIOS is updated to A12 and I have Windows SP2. What I'm trying to do is to get either my current drive or this new 160 GB hard drive to be a slave drive. When I install the second drive and try to run the setup when the computer starts and it says both of my drives are "Unknown Device". So then I tried to continue the boot of my computer and it ends up with an error saying that it doesn't see any of the drives. I thought that when the hard drive is installed your supposed to switch the settings for the Drive Configuration from "Off" to "Auto" at least that's what I think. But once I remove the drive from my computer everything is back to normal.

The jumper settings are correct and I connected with the gray plug from the same cable that is connected to my original hard drive. I'm desperately looking for some help because this problem as been bugging me for days. Someone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 05:50 AM
Is the jumper on the old drive set to Master or Cable Select? What about the new one?

I've never had any luck with Cable Select, so I always set Master and Slave. Some drives the jumper indicates that it is Master or Master w/ a Slave. I had one computer that wouldn't boot (or really slow) if this was wrong.

I would think even if your BIOS didn't recognize the drive above 137 GB, it should still boot.

Old 12-31-08, 09:48 AM
If the jumpers are correct, one being master, the other slave, and it still doesn't recognize the drive, then try this.

This only works if you have two primary IDE ports on your mother board. More than likely you have your hard drive in one, and the CD/DVD device in another.

First make sure that both drives are jumpered to master.
Unplug (if necessary) the CD/DVD device from the mother board and plug in one drive there. Your other drive should still be connected in the other primary IDE port on your mother board.

Try that out to see if the drives work. Naturally no CD/DVD device will show up at this time.

If both drives now work, then change your CD/DVD device to slave and connect it up to the secondary plug on your IDE cable of any drive.

Boot up the computer and test out all devices. Hopefully that will work for you.

Old 01-01-09, 12:57 AM
I messed with the jumper settings and now windows will actually start,but it still does not see the the second drive, is it because its too big? Or...?

Old 01-01-09, 05:02 AM
Does the BIOS see it? That's the first step.

Old 01-01-09, 09:06 AM
Dells require jumpers on both drives to be set as Cable Select. Why I don't know. I know on mine, and other Dells I've worked on, the drives have to be set as Cable Select.

Old 01-01-09, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Buy an external drive!! I have the same computer as yours and now I have over 360gb of space. I keep stuff like music/videos/photos/ documents on my external that I only use once and a while and keep all the important stuff on my computers hd. Plus you'll spend less and waste less time. Plug n' Play!! I spent just under 75 dollars for a western digital 320gb hard drive(book style) Sets on my computer desk and has worked great since I bought it about 2 months ago. No messing w/ the bios and jumpers and all that crap! Good Luck

Old 01-01-09, 11:50 PM
It's still a problem because apparently when I restarted my computer again it didn't work. I'm not sure what to do anymore, I'm considering just buying an external, but the negatives is that it doesnt transmit data as well. But we'll see what happens.

Old 01-02-09, 08:38 PM
Perhaps it may be a bad ribbon cable. Replace/Swap it with another cable and see if you still are having the problem of it not showing up.