Can I turn off wireless feature on 2wire?

Old 01-01-09, 09:32 AM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Can I turn off wireless feature on 2wire?

Bought a Dell Vostro a year ago, with XP, and ordered an AT&T 2wire wireless modem to connect to another soon-to-be purchased computer in another room. In the meantime, I'm told to disable or turn off the wireless portion of the modem for security purposes, until I actually need it for the new computer. A search for "2wire" in files & folders pulls up about 2 dozen entries, but I'm not savvy enough to interpret it.
And, of course, there is no "On-Off" switch on the modem itself---that would be too easy. I guess I could just unplug it when I'm off-line...I know I will set up a secure network when I need to, but for now, can I just program the modem to disable it's wireless function?

Old 01-01-09, 11:11 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe that you need to go in to the modem/router via an IP address like 192.168.1.1. Some routers have different IP addresses like 192.168.0.1. The instructions for your device should mention such. If not, then go on-line and download the manual. In there will be a setting where you can setup a WEP or WMA security number for your wireless. It is recommended that you do that anyway for when you do use the wireless feature. If not, then you should be able to turn it off in the menu as well.

Old 01-01-09, 11:20 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Open a browser and type http://gateway.2wire.net into the address bar. Click the Home Network tab. Under Local Interfaces, click "Disable" next to Wireless.

Old 01-01-09, 03:38 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Thank you, Rick. That did it, after I finally guessed the password I'd set up a year ago. This is a great website!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: