"always on" cable broadband

Old 01-01-09, 11:24 AM
"always on" cable broadband

this is what they say it is, 'always on". i'm not exactly sure what that means. but i don't like to leave things "on". after i shut down my computer, i turn off the "main" on my "power authority II ". meaning everything is "off".

what is going to happen if i do this to my cable internet connection ?

tia

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-09, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Always on means the signal is always connected to the modem (not like dial-up where you have to dial out establish the connection). Just think of it this way, the signal for cable TV is always coming into the wall jack, whether the TV is on or not, right?

If you shut off the modem at the same time as yer PC it will take a few seconds to be ready to use, but not much. By the time yer PC is ready to go, your connection should be as well. No problems that I know of if you do it, but I don't think theres much reason to either.

Old 01-01-09, 03:30 PM
gotcha, thanx

i don't like to leave things on. like power packs, etc. some things ya don't have much of a choice. i wanted to know if this was one of them.

Old 01-04-09, 08:50 AM
ok. i have 1mg cable broadband now. although its on my laptop, for now.

the modem takes about 5 mins or so to boot up.

Old 01-04-09, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
5 min? Boy thats doesn't seem right. You mean the actual modem that the cable connects to? I've never seen one that took much more than 30 sec, if that. Should be the self test, then the cable light should blink a few times as it "links", then a few rapid flashes, then solid on. Thast the way the 10 or so I've seen all work anyway. Now if this also has the wireless router built in, it could be different, I've never had one like that

There may be some sort of setting that can be changed.

Old 01-04-09, 03:07 PM
when i was trying to get it working, it took about 5mins . so i figured that was it.
i just now fired it up. took about 20 secs. thanx

now, i wish i could figure out my other issues. usb wireless mouse doesn' work any more, and the freakin scroll thing. but no biggie. my bro is getting me a nice used desktop, then this laptop will go back into storage.