Shielded vs. unshielded Cat 6

Old 01-03-09, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shielded vs. unshielded Cat 6

I have a 3/4" PVC conduit buried between my home and my shop (about 150 feet total length). The wires currently in the conduit are unused (multi-conductor 22 gauge unshielded and non-twisted and a coax cable). I'm considering pulling out the existing wire and running a cat 6 cable so I can put my shop on my LAN. Problem is that the conduit is in the same trench as my electric service cables. The electric service cable is buried 6" to 12" deeper than the conduit, and is also in PVC conduit.

Does using shielded cat 6 cable eliminate the problems of interference caused by running close and parallel to the electric service cable over such a long run? If not, is there anything else I can do to make this work (other than going wireless)?

Assuming the shielded cat 6 cable will work, is it okay to run other low voltage (12VDC less than 1 amp and/or phone wire and/or shielded CATV cable) in the same conduit, assuming I have room to do so, without causing any electrical interference?

Thanks,
Ira

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 11:24 PM
I would only use shielded if you ARE going to add any other low voltage wire into the pipe that would be suppling power. The disance between you and the electric service seems fine, I would be more woried about the distance to your shop(greater the distance greater the loss). The shield can help with the electical noise but will not with the distace.

Old 01-04-09, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't use shielded Cat6. The AC power is far enough away from the low-voltage conduit.

The CATV line won't cause a problem with the data line. If anything, the cable TV line could suffer the most from both interference and signal loss over that distance. Use RG11 if you can (RG6 minimum), and consider installing an amplifier at the house to drive the line.

The 12VDC line won't cause a problem with either the Cat6 or the cable. (Although you'll need some hefty wires to run 12VDC at 1 amp over 150 feet! What's that for?)

The phone line may crosstalk into the Cat6 when the phone rings, but it won't bother the computer long enough for you to notice.

Old 01-04-09, 10:15 PM
I thought the rule was to always be at least 12" away from a parallel electric wire, e.g., don't run it in the same wall cavity between two studs. I figured the problem would be compounded due to not being at least 12" apart, running parallel for over 100', and being next to the cables that supply all the power to my house.

Other than cost, is there any downside to using shielded?

I'm not sure how much DC low voltage/current I will be using, but it will not be too much. I need to power this relay from a distance of about 250' (wire length). I don't even know where to start looking to find out what gauge wire to use or what DC voltage/current I need to start with to end up with enough power to operate the relay on the other end. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ira