up/download meter ?

Old 01-04-09, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
up/download meter ?

now that i have 1mg broadband, i would like to have some kind of "meter" that will show me the activity. something small.

tia

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 10:21 AM
If you right click on your taskbar, you will see the context menu. You should see an item called Task Manager. Click on that and you should see 4 tabs in the window. One of them is Networking. That is one way to monitor anything being networked.

As far as the internet goes, if you do a properties of My Network Places, you should see the local area connection. Look at the properties of that and in the window should be a check box to show the icon in notiviation area (taskbar) when connected. Checking that puts a small icon on your taskbar. Once there, if you double click on it, you will see the activity of packets being sent and transmitted.

Most routers have logging option so that you can see what is coming in and going out as well.

Old 01-04-09, 10:57 AM
thanx. the task manager thing is interesting. but way too large.

the little icon in the tool bar is nice.

Old 01-09-09, 09:10 PM
Why do you want a meter?

If you want to just test your speed occasionally go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test .

Your internet connection will never come close to the maximum of your network connection so it might be pointless to watch the network activity monitor.

Old 01-10-09, 05:36 AM
because i like to see what, if anything, is being down/up loaded. when i had netzero years ago, it had the exact meter i want.

yes, i use speedtest daily.

it would be interesting to see what the network is doing (though that is not the goal of this thread). as my connection slows a lot sometimes.

Old 01-10-09, 01:27 PM
Try yahoo widgets....they probably have a small network widget in there somewhere you could use.

Old 01-10-09, 03:30 PM
thanx !!!

this is the one. at least from the ones i have seen. wish it was a tad bit smaller, but its good. are these harmfull, spy/virus/etc, in any way ?

Bandwidth Graph - Yahoo! Widgets

Old 01-10-09, 03:35 PM
WOW !!! this thing is cool

Old 01-10-09, 03:42 PM
ok, let me ask you this. it is saying i am "downlink": 2.0ish kb/sec, and every now & then it "uplinks" something, in the 1-60B/sec. but i am not doing anything. do i have spyware, or whats up ???

Old 01-10-09, 03:57 PM
well, got another question. this is my speed, i'm on the 1mg/sec comcast plan.

but the meter says downlink: 125 kb/sec and uplink: 45 kb/sec.

is that right ? wouldn't 1000kb/sec be 1 meg ?

Old 01-10-09, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Nope....1.000 kb/s is 1 Meg.

EDIT Oops...thats what you said. Yeah yer right, but you could get higher speeds (maybe) at a different server. Yer right on line with what your service provides. You need to worry less about a few kbs.

Old 01-10-09, 04:08 PM
oh, i'm not worried about a few kb's. i just want the meter to be pretty close to actual.

125kb/s is really far from 950kb/s.

perhaps i need to change a setting ?

Last edited by condo-owner; 01-10-09 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-09, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, no expert...but kb is kilobit, (as in one bit of info), Kb is Kilobyte, which is 8 times kb, IIRC. Don't change anything. Your internet connection is just fine. Yer getting what you payed for.

May just be how its displayed I think, I don't know how the meter you have checks things.

I have a 3 Meg connection, and it varies from 2700 to 4700 on Speedtest....

Old 01-10-09, 05:07 PM
i think your right, i changed the setting to bits. i'm doing another test, but its going real slow right now. so i will try again later and report back. its at 184kbps right now, lol, ummm, ohhh :-(

Old 01-10-09, 10:24 PM
I didn't see where you said if it was DSL or Cable internet.

Few factors that effect speed:
1. If you are on DSL, the farther you are from the phone company, the slower it will be.
2. If on cable, you share your net connection (in a sense) with a "community". They chunk out the data/tv usage to a set amount for a certain area. If nobody is watching tv or on the net, you may get 2Mb+ speeds..if everyone is on their tv and computer, you may get 500kb.

There is also a program out there..I'll have to try to remember what it is..but basically it records all in and out requests and data sent.

As far as uploading...many things upload data. Anything you send out is uploaded. This could be sent emails, Windows checking updates, a web form you filled out, a website set to auto update, a cookie to transmit data...etc. Unless its high, it is nothing to worry about.

Old 01-11-09, 11:18 AM
thanx, crabby. welcome to the forum. bunch of nice folks round here.

its cable economy, 1mg/s for $25. and it is great for me.

Gunny
its bits that is displaying correctly.

also. i just so happens that it also downloaded a clock with it. i was like wth. but now i like it. even though i would configure the layout a bit differently. i think i got a LOT more than i paid for. thanx for the link !