Transferring stuff to "new" PC

Old 01-04-09, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Transferring stuff to "new" PC

OK, I messed up my perfectly good old garage PC. Trying to install a new fan and heatsink on the CPU, screwdriver slipped and though I didn't see any damage to the MB, I must have done something. Upon power up, smelled a burnt cap. Turned out to be the Video card. So pulled the card to use onboard graphics. Nope, no POST, no video, no nada. Pulled memory and disconn all drives. Deader than a doornail. P/S is ok, they checked that for free at the shop.

Ok, it was old and free anyway. Went to local PC shop, bought an refurbished HP with bigger faster HD and faster CPU and my memory will fit. Still need a new Video Card, but have to wait til Monday.

It already has XP, IE, Firefox, AVG, all the basic stuff. I use a Web based mail, so thats not a prob.

Heres the question. I'd like to keep the HD thats in it as the Primary, since its already all up to date and I won't have to mess with any drivers or compatability issues.

But I sure would like to get all the Favorites and saved info (mostly references for here as a matter of fact) that I had on the old machine. I've never done it before, normally I'd start out from scratch as it was always drives that failed.

I have an external USB hard drive enclosure I can put the old Primary drive in. How can I get the info I want to keep?

Hope I was clear enough, I'm sure you understand. Maybe its a lot simpler than I think.

Thanks!
Vic

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideally, you'll boot the new machine. Plug in the USB drive. Navigate to the Documents and Settings folder and the user name you've set for the old machine. Select the contents of the Favorites folder and right-click/copy. Paste into the new machine's identical folder.

When you're sure you have all your stuff off the old drive, format it and use it for backups.

Old 01-04-09, 09:36 AM
Vic,
Get the drive from the old PC into that external USB tray. Boot up the new box and connect the USB tray. The PC should auto detect and windows should present a window allowing you to choose how to open the old drive. There should be an option to view folders. If the drive does not auto detect, look for it in My Computer and open it from there. You should see the old drive in My Computer. From there you need only browse through to Documents and Settings to locate the Favorites Folder, My Documents Folder, Desktop Folder etc. I would suggest you create a new folder in My Documents on the new box. Copy and paste the folders you want to transfer to the new folder. Once you confirm that you have moved everything you want from the old drive to the new folder you should then format that old drive and use it as a back up!
M

Old 01-04-09, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh see, I knew it couldn't be that hard. Just didn't realize the stuff I wanted to keep was kept in the folder like that. Somehow I thought it was a function internal to the actual program...duh.

Thanks Guys, I think I'll be able to get it now.

And I'll keep both of the old drives for the backup and other funtions. Maybe I'll even split my programs and OS so I won't have this kind of issue again.

Old 01-07-09, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Just wanted to let you know, old drive works fine in the enclosure, was able to access all the files and favorites. Waiting on a video card before I finalize my setup.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Old 01-08-09, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Maybe I'll even split my programs and OS so I won't have this kind of issue again.
Putting the data on a separate drive makes it easier to backup, but putting the programs on a separate drive from the Windows install won't help. When programs are installed, they almost always drop a few files into the Windows folder and place a few lines in the registry. Reloading Windows will wipe those files & registry entries and the programs either won't work at all or they'll be erratic.

Old 01-08-09, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
I guess thats what I meant.....I don't think I have a single program that I actually physically loaded. They're all Freeware that was downloaded, so that wouldn't be a big issue.