vista wireless inquiry

Old 01-06-09, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
vista wireless inquiry

I'm looking for assistance in re-setting the network connection(s) functionality of my Vista laptop which is connected wirelessly to my home network.

The machine is currently set so that when you enable the wireless LAN function, it finds my network and automatically connects to it (when I'm within the range of my router broadcast). This I do not wish to change.

It is also set to be able to find public connections to which I can connect when using the pc away from my home network. This I also do not wish to change.

What I would like to change is having other networks appear in the list that appears in the Connect to a Network screen which appears when you click on Connect to a Network from the Network and Sharing Center. When I'm at home I'm not interested in and would rather not even be able to see any other available network in the list, so am wondering if there is a way to prevent them from appearing there. Likewise I would like to set it so I can't connect to any other available connection while at home, even inadvertently.

Also, on a separate but somewhat related issue I am wondering if I take the step of disabling my SSID broadcast (via router settings) whether that will then prevent my own wireless pc from being able to find and automatically connect to my own network.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-09, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
The machine is currently set so that when you enable the wireless LAN function, it finds my network and automatically connects to it

Also, on a separate but somewhat related issue I am wondering if I take the step of disabling my SSID broadcast (via router settings) whether that will then prevent my own wireless pc from being able to find and automatically connect to my own network.
If you dissable the SSID broadcast, and your computer connects automatically, it should still work. Only if you turn off your connection or change to another connection will you have problem re-connecting as it won't show up in your list. In that case, you can connect manually by entering in the SSID when you want to connect to your router via the connect to wireless software.

On a side note, even XP will keep a list of shares in the My Network Places even though those shares are not there any more. If you click on view workgroup computers, your list may update. Vista is a pain in the rears, that is why I stayed with XP.

Old 01-06-09, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by rbwest View Post
Only if you turn off your connection or change to another connection will you have problem re-connecting as it won't show up in your list.
By "turn off connection" do you mean disconnect in any way, like turning off the computer or turning off the modem or router? If I disable my SSID broadcast then turn off the pc (or modem or router) will my pc not automatically connect to my network again because it cannot "see" my network automatically? Guess I'm not really sure what you mean by "only if you turn off your connection"...

Old 01-06-09, 08:21 PM
In some routers, you have to option to broadcast the SSID. If you choose not to broadcast (disable it) then that is where it will not show up on any list, but you can connect to it if you know the SSID. As you stated, your computer connects automatically, so it remembered the last connection the next time you powered on. It should do the same if you turn off the SSID in your router. If not, then you have to manually connect by entering in your SSID. This is what I was trying to explain. Lets say that you are connected to your wireless. You open up the wireless connection window to show you if there are any other wireless routers nearby. You happen to see a neighbor who does not have security, so you connect to it. Now after trying out their internet, you decide to go back to yours. Since the SSID is turned off in your router, you will not be able to see it on the wireless connection list. I believe there is an option to connect to a wirless device manually. Doing so, you will then have to enter in a SSID. Once that is done, then you are now connected to your system.

Check first to see if you do have that manual option. If not, leave the SSID on in your router.

Old 01-06-09, 09:03 PM
I believe there is an option to connect to a wirless device manually. Doing so, you will then have to enter in a SSID. Once that is done, then you are now connected to your system. Check first to see if you do have that manual option. If not, leave the SSID on in your router.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...l1/Capture.jpg

Apparently I do have the option, as shown via snip above from my Vista Network and Sharing Center, to enter my SSID and connect manually to my network. What throws me off is how it says "Enter information for the wireless network you want to ADD" after you select "Manually connect to a wireless network:"
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/capture2.jpg

For one thing, if I select to manually connect to it I'm not necessarily "adding" it if it already is available, am I? Also, if I choose to manually connect to it instead of having it connect automatically, it looks as if I would not only have to type in my SSID, but also select the security type and encryption as well as type in my passphrase. Also, would I want to check either one of those checkboxes? It seems if I am choosing to connect to the network manually then why would it be asking me if I want to connect to the connection automatically? And the checkbox that says "Connect to the network even if the network is not broadcasting", does that mean connect to the network even if the network is not broadcasting it's SSID??

Old 01-07-09, 10:24 AM
IF you are hiding your SSID, then this is the screen you want. You are basically saving the information for it to be able to see your network, even when it isn't broadcasting the SSID, your machine still has the required info. You'll also want to check both boxes at the bottom. This is what I was trying to tell you about in the other thread, but couldn't remember where it was at in Vista.

Also, you won't have to enter anything if you go to another network and then come back to yours. It will still have all that info saved and will automatically connect to it. There may be a rare occasion where you have to go into "view wireless networks" and click connect.

Old 01-08-09, 10:16 AM
Thanks toofer and RBwest for explanations/advice about disabling the SSID broadcast. My SSID is set not on broacast now and my Vista machine still connects to my network automatically, which is what I hoped to accomplish.

Now what I would like to be able to do is stop having other networks appear in the list that appears in the Connect to a Network screen which appears when I click on Connect to a Network from the Network and Sharing Center. When I'm at home I'm not interested in and would rather not even be able to see any other available network in the list, so am wondering if there is a way to prevent them from appearing there. Likewise I would like to set it so I can't connect to any other available connection while at home, even inadvertently. Any advice on how/whether this can be done?

Old 01-08-09, 08:45 PM
I don't know of any way to filter the wireless networks that show up in windows. When it polls the airwaves it just pulls in whatever it sees.

Old 01-08-09, 10:24 PM
Thanks toofer and RBwest for explanations/advice about disabling the SSID broadcast. My SSID is set not on broacast now and my Vista machine still connects to my network automatically, which is what I hoped to accomplish.

Now what I would like to be able to do is stop having other networks appear in the list that appears in the Connect to a Network screen which appears when I click on Connect to a Network from the Network and Sharing Center. When I'm at home I'm not interested in and would rather not even be able to see any other available network in the list, so am wondering if there is a way to prevent them from appearing there. Likewise I would like to set it so I can't connect to any other available connection while at home, even inadvertently. Any advice on how/whether this can be done?
Found this on another site. Try and let us know if this works for you or not.

You can safely delete any of the icons that represent shortcuts to network shares, and you can also disable the automatic search for network shares, using the following steps:
1. Open any system folder (My Computer, My Network Places, or Windows Explorer) and choose Tools, Folder Options, to open the Folder Options dialog.
2. Click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced Settings list, click the check box next to Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers check box to clear the check mark.
4. Click OK.

Old 01-09-09, 09:26 AM
Try and let us know if this works for you or not.
No, I can't try that on my wirelessly connected Vista pc because the line you mention (Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers) is not included in the list. I did notice that on my XP machine (connected directly and with which does not apply to my issue) the line is there and is already unchecked.
Regardless, I'm not really trying to trying to disable the automatic search for network shares but am trying to stop having networks other than my own appear in the list that appears in the Connect to a Network screen which appears when I click on Connect to a Network from the Network and Sharing Center (on Vista wirelessly connected machine).

Old 01-09-09, 09:46 AM
Found this on another site. Try and let us know if this works for you or not.

You can safely delete any of the icons that represent shortcuts to network shares, and you can also disable the automatic search for network shares, using the following steps:
1. Open any system folder (My Computer, My Network Places, or Windows Explorer) and choose Tools, Folder Options, to open the Folder Options dialog.
2. Click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced Settings list, click the check box next to Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers check box to clear the check mark.
4. Click OK.

That has nothing to do with wireless networks.

It's probably best to not offer advice if you have no expertise in that certain area. You may cause the person more grief than good if they change something they should not change.

Old 01-09-09, 07:19 PM
No, I can't try that on my wirelessly connected Vista pc because the line you mention (Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers) is not included in the list. I did notice that on my XP machine (connected directly and with which does not apply to my issue) the line is there and is already unchecked.
Regardless, I'm not really trying to trying to disable the automatic search for network shares but am trying to stop having networks other than my own appear in the list that appears in the Connect to a Network screen which appears when I click on Connect to a Network from the Network and Sharing Center (on Vista wirelessly connected machine).
My Mistake. Thought that you were looking for a way so that network shares would not show up in a list when you click on "Connect to a Network" (My Network Places - XP). I looked on-line for reference to that. Should have specified "Vista".

Originally Posted by toofer View Post
That has nothing to do with wireless networks. It's probably best to not offer advice if you have no expertise in that certain area. You may cause the person more grief than good if they change something they should not change.
People make mistakes. That is what makes us human. We all have opinions. Some are good. Others are not. Unchecking a box isn't critical as you can recheck the box.

There were other finds regarding the network list which pointed to registry changes. That find, after I tried it did not do what I believe sgull wanted.

Before giving out advice, I generally have done the procedure before, and or have tried it out. My mistake was that I miss read sgull's question and tried it out on XP, not Vista as it's architectural design is different in many ways.

Old 01-09-09, 07:37 PM
My mistake was that I miss read sgull's question
No prob!
That's kinda what I figured anyway. I always appreciate anyone's sincere effort to provide any measure of help. Half the time I'm lucky if I can adequately express in words the issue I need help with.

Old 01-10-09, 01:11 PM
My Mistake. Thought that you were looking for a way so that network shares would not show up in a list when you click on "Connect to a Network" (My Network Places - XP). I looked on-line for reference to that. Should have specified "Vista".

People make mistakes. That is what makes us human. We all have opinions. Some are good. Others are not. Unchecking a box isn't critical as you can recheck the box.

There were other finds regarding the network list which pointed to registry changes. That find, after I tried it did not do what I believe sgull wanted.

Before giving out advice, I generally have done the procedure before, and or have tried it out. My mistake was that I miss read sgull's question and tried it out on XP, not Vista as it's architectural design is different in many ways.
It's cool, I'm not slammin you or anything, I've just seen people cause bigger problems when they just start trying "stuff" without really knowing what they are doing. They end up with a bigger problem than what they started out with.