wireless lap top connection

Old 01-09-09, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wireless lap top connection

I have been given a new but old model inspiron 5150 Dell laptop.

I have also attached to my computer a 54 g linksys router.

The router seems to be hooked up like it should be. I have brigded the modem for the router needs, I have pushed the button on the router, to send the signal out to pick up the laptop.

I cannot however urge the laptop to pick up the signal, I have read somethings that say you have to push a button on some laptops inoreder for them to pick up the signal, but I have not been able to locate such a button, if there is one.

I am also unable to get my wifes, new hewlet packard mini to pick up the signal.

Is there something I am doing wrong?, if so can you point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-09, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I am assuming the computers are wi fi ready, and don't need PCMCIA antennas. Look in the f1 row. You may see what looks like a radio tower. Hold down "function" and tap that key. I is a toggle to connect and disconnect the internal antenna. Have you configured the network settings for the wireless on your computers? Are you on DSL, Cable, Satellite?

Old 01-10-09, 08:33 PM
I have a Dell Vostro that has a slider on the left hand side that turns on the wireless internet. I have a dell at work that has a button that is near the power button to turn on the wireless. On your laptop, you should also have a WIFI light that is near your power and battery lights, if the WIFI light is on, you should receive a signal. If it isn't then you have to turn on the WIFI.

Once you get the wirelss on, it should start to search for a signal immediately.

Old 01-10-09, 09:20 PM
I have three lights on front of computer one is power on light other is battery light other looks like a symbol for a beer can.

How do you turn on wifi?

Old 01-10-09, 09:26 PM
My carrier is verizon, dsl I have bridged the modem and have even had the other computer the hp mini say it was connected to the internet, but that has since, not been the case.

When I put the linksys card into my dell inspirom 5150, it seems to load but then the computer seems not to recognize it when it comes time to make use of it, When I am lucky enough to see what the status of it is, such as I think when I click on the icon bottom right it is always listed as inactive.

Old 01-11-09, 12:01 PM
Then you have to go into network connections and set it up. Go to control panel, click on network connections. You will find one or more under LAN or High Speed Network. Click on the one that matches yours. When the window opens, click on view wireless networks. From there you will have to connect it. Let us know how that goes.

Old 01-11-09, 01:48 PM
after click lan that pertains there is nothing viewable that say anything about wireless at all I have searched through all the drop down window.

Old 01-11-09, 06:37 PM
Then with file-drop down, choose make new connection and follow the guide. Let us know how it's going.

Old 01-11-09, 11:13 PM
I give up, either I do not know what questions to ask or you do not know what questions to answer.

Old 01-12-09, 05:03 AM
Sorry I couldn't help further.

Old 01-12-09, 10:48 AM
Its not you, I have other issues I have found out. When I tried to connect my newly acquired laptop, directly to the ethernet cable from verizon, it would not connect to the internet then either.

When I got this computer from my daughter I new it was at least a year old, she said she did'mt use it because it was to heavy. I thought that she used it to some extent, but I was wrong,

I recently had to contact dell to give them the groups of numbers from my computer, and they in return, had to give me back a group of numbers that I placed into the my computer.

I guess these were activation codes or something, anyway its hard to tell what else I would have to do to this computer to get it set up to receive the internet.

Thanks