WPA2 & AES support?

Old 01-09-09, 01:21 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
WPA2 & AES support?

I am considering purchasing an older model laptop as a second computer to use solely for the purpose of connecting to sites such as hulu.com to watch tv and movies etc. on that pc. The pc will be on a wireless connection to my home network. It's a TOSHIBA SATELLITE L25 S1196 with a Intel Celeron M single core processor configuration and has a freshly reformatted XP operating system. What I need to know in advance is the following:
1. Will the network adapter that comes with this system from the factory be able to support WPA2 wireless network security with AES encryption? Or will I need to do something like download from Microsoft the "link layer topology discovery protocol (LLTD)" and install it so that the adapter can support it? I don't know the exact make/model of adapter that comes with it, other than it apparently is "10/100 Base-TX Ethernet" (from product description from Toshiba site).
2. Does XP also support security mentioned above? If not, do I need to do download/install as LLTD as mentioned above?
3. Is the processor mentioned above a Pentium 3 and if not what Pentium is it? Because some info I read said you need at least a Pentium 3 processor for best performance to watch tv online, but I don't know if that's really the case or not.
Any answers/comments about the above welcome. thanks

Old 01-09-09, 04:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First you need to figure out if it has a built in Wireless Card. You stated it has a 10/100 Ethernet. That's standard network cable. Celeron M is above a P3. The computer I'm typing this on is a Celeron M 1.3Ghz. But yeah, you need to figure if it has a wireless adapter in it first.

Old 01-09-09, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by crazycory22
First you need to figure out if it has a built in Wireless Card. you need to figure if it has a wireless adapter in it first.
Yeah, I'm beginning to figure that it does not have a built-in wireless card. I went to the Toshiba site and checked the manual for this machine. It said there is an "optional wireless LAN module" available for wireless connectivity. What is meant by that? Does that mean a card that will slip into a slot into the side of the computer? It does say there is what is called a "PC slot" on the side of the computer.
If it's indeed the case that I do need the wireless pc card for wireless connectivity, how does that differ in functionality than a built-in network adapter, anyway? I've never had occasion to use one.
The used pc is advertised as supporting WIFI, so if it needs the optional LAN module or card and has that included, is there any way I can know whether it will support the security I mentioned? Or can I simply obtain a WIFI card for it that will support it otherwise? thanks

Old 01-09-09, 05:02 PM
On the other hand, at a link where it shows the features of the machine, it mentions it has "integrated wireless technology".
So would that mean it has a wireless card built-in? Or not necessarily?

Old 01-09-09, 05:11 PM
If the link states that it has the wireless lan built in then I'd make the assumption as such...Just be careful with assuming that. As the wrong assumption could be costly. On the other hand if it doesn't have the wireless card in it, then you can easily go to a big box store and get the right card for the PC Card slot that will suit your needs just perfectly

Old 01-09-09, 05:40 PM
If the link states that it has the wireless lan built in then I'd make the assumption as such...Just be careful with assuming that. As the wrong assumption could be costly. On the other hand if it doesn't have the wireless card in it, then you can easily go to a big box store and get the right card for the PC Card slot that will suit your needs just perfectly
The link doesn't specifically state that it has the wireless LAN built-in. Just that it has "integrated wireless LAN technology". Insofar as these PC cards go, if I need one that will support the security I mention, what's a good procedure, just go to a big box store and ask them for a pc wireless network card for this particular machine that will support the wireless security type and encryption I want to use?

Old 01-09-09, 06:06 PM
You'll ask for a PCMCIA WiFi card. Linksys and DLink both make a good card. Yeah. Just ask for a card that'll work with those particular security standards, and you'll be good to go

Old 01-09-09, 06:22 PM
You'll ask for a PCMCIA WiFi card. Linksys and DLink both make a good card. Yeah. Just ask for a card that'll work with those particular security standards, and you'll be good to go
Great. Thanks for that info crazycory.

Also, would you be able to answer question #2 in my initial post in this thread? Also, another person insists that Celeron M is not up to Pentium 3 level, comments?

thanks

Old 01-09-09, 07:13 PM
My Celeron M handles everything I throw at it. I have a Celeron M running at 1.3Ghz. I watch DVD's YouTube Videos, DiVx (Don't know if i can say DiVx)videos...Don't have a problem with it. It's definitely up to P3 standards, this computer flogs my P4 1.3Ghz, runs absolute circles around it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-09, 08:19 PM
My Celeron M handles everything I throw at it. I have a Celeron M running at 1.3Ghz. I watch DVD's YouTube Videos, DiVx (Don't know if i can say DiVx)videos...Don't have a problem with it. It's definitely up to P3 standards, this computer flogs my P4 1.3Ghz, runs absolute circles around it. Hope this helps.
Okay thanks again. It does help to hear that.

Old 01-10-09, 12:38 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgull
Great. Thanks for that info crazycory.

Also, would you be able to answer question #2 in my initial post in this thread? Also, another person insists that Celeron M is not up to Pentium 3 level, comments?

thanks

P3 levels, yes. But performance will seriously depend on the amount of memory you have and more importantly the chipset you have. Think of the chipset as the one that handles all the "paperwork" for the processor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: