laptop optical drive noise

Old 01-14-09, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
laptop optical drive noise

Often, depending on the DVD it seems, when I pop one into my laptop I hear a loud whirring like vibration humming noise coming from the optical drive as the DVD is spinning. The sound generally seems to speed up (get louder) and then slow down (get softer) as I'm doing things such as switching to various menu places on the DVD. The DVDs that cause this sound play through okay, but obviously there shouldn't be this loud sound I describe coming from the drive. And these are commercially produced factory quality DVDs, not irregular in any particular way. These DVDs are ones I borrow from a friend, not sure if it something caused by some player he's previously played them on or what. Most other DVD's, also borrowed from him, play fine with absolutely quiet operation from the drive, it's sort of random whether the noise will happen or not.

I found the following info online, but don't really know if this could be causing the issue:

Rotational vibration. Some discs are less balanced and cause more wobbling and vibrations, which in turn, lead to more noise. The imbalance of discs is random and uncontrollable. However, some drives seem to deal better with imbalanced discs because of clamping / damping mechanisms.

Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-09, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is very common, don't worry about it unless it is causing a problem.

Old 01-14-09, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
That is very common, don't worry about it unless it is causing a problem.
Doesn't seem to be causing a problem, but the noise I describe really is a noticeably loud buzzing vibration sound and actually quite distracting while trying to view the DVDs it happens with.

I just tried about 8 different DVDs and out of those eight only one in particular causes this noise when its spinning in there, each and every time I try insert and play it.

The DVD looks fine, doesn't looked "warped" or anything. Same with other DVDs I've had this happen with in this laptop. Played them in another pc (desktop) and no such noise issue.

Any further comment? What causes this anyway? If it's common then it seems there should be a common explanation why.
thanks

Old 01-14-09, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Slight variances in the balance of a disc can cause what you describe. Even if the disc is perfectly flat, it may still be out of balance, prob more prevalent with budget discs. I've had the same thing happen with a DVD player for the TV. Not as noticable, since I am 10 ft away. Disc still plays fine though.

Same with tires on yer car, even with quality control as it is now (ok, we won't mention Firestone...lol), slight differences can make a huge difference when they get spun up to speed. The tire or disc may be just fine otherwise.

Old 01-14-09, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Slight variances in the balance of a disc can cause what you describe. Even if the disc is perfectly flat, it may still be out of balance, prob more prevalent with budget discs.
Actually the particular disc with which this is happening is kind of a budget type disc. It's one of those not-quite-bootleg but yet not-quite-mainstream issue type discs. (Rolling Stones DVD called The Marquee/Montreux Rumble, produced by 4-Reel Productions). The label side of the DVD is white blank except for a sticker with the printing which looks like it was cut out of a sheet of regular paper and then stuck on with adhesive. The sticker is about two inches long and an inch wide, and it's stuck not evenly around the disc hole but instead just on one side of the hole. It's obvious that if the disc were placed on a balance-checking machine, such as the type that checks balance on tires, the sticker side would be heavier. So if this imbalance is the cause of my drive vibration/noise, could I try to maybe balance it out by sticking a counterweight sticker on the opposite side of the hole?

Old 01-14-09, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Very likely that kind of label could cause the issue. Again, like the tire example.

I just checked the balance weights on my 2 vehicles, all the weights are w/in 90 degrees of being exactly opposite of the stem, so it shows you, even a minor amount can't make a big diff. And a DVD probably spins many times faster than my car tires.

Old 01-14-09, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Very likely that kind of label could cause the issue.
So if I stuck a similar weighted sticker on the label side on the other side of the disc hole, would that likely solve the issue or would that not be a good idea to be just adding more weight like that to a DVD, bad for the drive maybe. ?

Old 01-14-09, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
well, no PC guru, but it would be a fun test.

Old 01-14-09, 04:19 PM
PC gurus. Any out there who knows whether this test would be worth the fun (for me)?

Old 01-14-09, 08:37 PM
Copy the dvd to your computer and burn a "backup"copy..

Other than that..I wouldnt try to balance it. You may just end up damaging your disc drive. Since they spin pretty fast, it can cause stuff (even some cheap discs) to shatter at high speeds.

This is the main reason they stopped at 52x reading on cd drives. Discs were shattering inside the machine because of the speed and vary slight variances in all discs. The Mythbusters actually tried this out and caused shrapnel from the CD to stick into stuff. SCARY!

Old 01-14-09, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by crabbyman View Post
Copy the dvd to your computer and burn a "backup"copy Other than that..I wouldnt try to balance it. You may just end up damaging your disc drive. Since they spin pretty fast, it can cause stuff (even some cheap discs) to shatter at high speeds. This is the main reason they stopped at 52x reading on cd drives. Discs were shattering inside the machine because of the speed and vary slight variances in all discs. The Mythbusters actually tried this out and caused shrapnel from the CD to stick into stuff. SCARY!
Thanks crabbyman for that advice, seems to be more logical than trying to balance the disc messing around trying to add weight and risk damaging the disc drive. That's interesting about the high speed disc shattering thing. Is there really that much difference in manufacturing quality of DVD (or CD) discs, where some are inferior enough to shatter during high speeds but others won't? I would've thought a disc is basically a disc, all basically the same plastic form object. Apparently not, they can be significantly different?

Old 01-15-09, 08:56 PM
It doesnt even have to be that big of a difference in size/weight..etc.

Video of a CD shattering..slow mo shows a normal disc starting to jiggle before it explodes.

YouTube - 52x CD-ROM Drive Explodes a Standard CD

Old 01-16-09, 10:20 AM
I saw that Mythbusters.. it was awesome. But, keep in mind a 52x drive will "only" spin at 10,350 rpm. The Mythbusters clamped a disc to a high speed die grinder to achieve 25,000 RPM... over twice as fast as your computer equipment is capable of.

If your laptop contains an "ejectable" drive (you can take out the whole drive), there is often a place for a screw on the bottom to "lock" the drive to the machine. (The screw is usually shipped with the computer, but in a little plastic bag.) This firms things up and may reduce the volume and vibration somewhat.

I experience the same thing on a Dell D630 and a ThinkPad, and it is annoying.