Dual Boot & NTLDR is Missing?

Old 01-17-09, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dual Boot & NTLDR is Missing?

Hello: I recently had a problem when booting my xp home edition (NTLDR is missing) and had to do a recovery.
My question is, if I had a Dual Boot set up e.g. dual boot with Vista or ubuntu, would I have been able to boot into the other partition? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 07:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, if you got two seperate partitions, and two different OS's, the machine will ask what OS you want to boot.

I have Vista on one drive, and XP on the other. Also, using VM (Virtual Machine) might be a bit easier.

Old 01-17-09, 07:40 AM
Thanks, Do you have any info on using VM (Virtual Machine), I am new at this and want to learn more about it?

Old 01-19-09, 01:36 PM
Virtual Machine is NOT a separate partition, nor is it a form of dual-booting. To boot into your virtual machine you would need to be able to boot your primary operating system.

In addition, you need to install an operating system on your virtual machine. If you want Windows you will need a valid license.

The nice thing about VM is that it's free and is a great place to test applications while not risking your actual computer.

Regarding a dual-boot system, if there is a problem with one of the operating systems (such as NTLDR is missing) you can still start the other operating system. If there is a problem with the disk itself (or the boot manager) you may not be able to boot into either.

Old 01-19-09, 03:22 PM
Ok, Thanks to all I appreciate your replies

Old 02-09-09, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by tomtom59 View Post
Thanks, Do you have any info on using VM (Virtual Machine), I am new at this and want to learn more about it?
vmware will run in a separate window on your currently OS. my base OS is vista home premium running the latest intel i7 processor. i run both xp and ubuntu on vmware with very little lag.

each virtual pc will require it's own quota and memory so you need to have a very large HDD and physical memory. they will either share your network or you can create a virtual network.

you can also partition a drive so all the virtual pc's share it. i use this to transfer files betw each virtual pc. virtual pc is good for opening virus infected files without damaging your base OS. example: pr0n browsing and torrents.

i believe vmware server is still free.
you can install the ubuntu.iso directly into vmware without the cd.

-a|ex

Old 02-09-09, 11:45 AM
Ok, Thank You for the info, saving it to try it out later!