Help ! Dell e510 start button

Old 01-17-09, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help ! Dell e510 start button

HELP ! Intermittent problem with dell demnsion E510 2.5 years old,when attempting to start ,the push button on the tower turns into a flashing amber light. At this point it just sits and flashes,also the optical mouse flashes at same time.Currently trying to work with DELL service ,they're suggesting I look for a sequence of LEDS above the power switch,of course with the problem being intermittent it's hard to catch.Anybody out there ever run into this specific situation ?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 11:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a bad motherboard.

I bet if you open it up, you wil find some melting.

Old 01-17-09, 11:28 AM
If the mother board is shot would it still start up off and on ?

Old 01-17-09, 02:14 PM
Flashing amber light on the power switch could also be indicative of a failing power supply. The lights you're looking for are 1 2 3 4 they are above the power button and if you have front USB ports the lights are below those. You have to be looking directly at the the front of the machine because they are very hard to see. That's just some input that I've noticed about the e510 here.

Cory

Old 01-19-09, 12:32 PM
Cory is correct. Dells have a nice sequence of lights that flash on every time you start the computer, then turn off (exactly like the warning lights on your dashboard that come on when you start the car, then shut off after a couple seconds). If one of the light stays on (such as your check engine light or oil light) you know where the problem is.

The computer's numbered lights will stay on if there is a problem. So when your power button is flashing, leave the computer on and look for the numbered lights - some of them should still be on. For instance, a bad or missing memory (RAM) card causes 1 and 3 to stay on on my Optiplex systems.

On your system the are located on the front panel.

Here is the Dell System Maintenance Manual for the E510, showing the number codes.
Documentation

Here is the link to where it talks about the flashing amber power light. Looks like a possible system board failure. Note that you should check your diagnostic lights for more specific info.
Documentation

Old 01-19-09, 12:36 PM
I'm betting on a bad power supply too. I had a home built machine recently that would only come on certain times when you'd push the button, others it wouldn't come on at all. Sometimes it would come on a few seconds after you pushed the button. I was thinking motherboard as well, unless I tested another power supply in it.

Old 01-21-09, 10:48 PM
thanks guys,turns out it was power supply,under warrenty and repaired......................

Old 01-22-09, 11:25 AM
Glad that you got your issue sorted out, and thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

Cory

Old 02-01-09, 09:45 PM
amber light- blue screen etc

I have got the same problem two years ago.
I have tried lot of things ---nothing worked.
Actually problem is bad temperature sensor.It does not send right signal to the CPU fan which is way to slow.
It overheats CPU and motherboard.What is going to be fried on the motherboard nobody knows, but probably it is bad capacitor-(s)
So you have to add additional spot fan to cool CPU. Probably you have one 4pin connector which is free.
To power up the computer you should locate 20-pin connector.Strip just a little of the insulation from any black wire and one green wire.(Green wire is called Power on wire). Attach two long insulated wires, fix them properly, and pull the other end outside of the computer.Attach back all the cables to the computer.
Strip insulation on the other wires end. Hold ends together.Computer will restart all motors, recharge all capacitors, but will not boot.After three seconds press regular power button.It will boot now. CMOS takes control and you can hear everything slows down.Two seconds later you should separate those two wires.
Later, you may install push button on the front side for easier start.

P.S.

In My case i have got problem with the network card too.I have removed it.
CMOS could not save settings so i removed jumper located next to CMOS.

Now everything works good.No freezing, no blue screen or other trouble windows messages.