Software to compare folders/files

Old 01-22-09, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Software to compare folders/files

Anyone know of a good program that can compare 2 different folders or series of folders and determine if there are duplicate files?

After we had some computer issues, I now have 3 drives on 2 diff PC's with a bunch of duplicate pictures and music. Ideally, I'd like to have it search my whole PC and ID the pictures and music that are the same, then combine them all into one folder to be sorted.

I have about 13Gb or music and 8Gb of pictures that I don't want to take the chance of losing something that I'll be hearing about forever from She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Even If it can only compare 1 folder to everything else at onetime would be quicker than me doing it manually.

Oh, and did I say Freeware or Shareware please? I have more time than money...lol

Thx
Vic

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-09, 12:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What operating system do you have?

Old 01-22-09, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Crapola...duh......XP on my mancave PC, Vista on hers.....

I'm moving all the stuff to the vista machine using a thumbdrive, but still need to do the sorting thing.

If you have recommendations for both, I'd be pretty happy.

Old 01-23-09, 04:44 AM
H
Try doublekiller - free version

Old 01-23-09, 07:23 AM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Sorting Files

Sorting files is easy in Windows Explorer. Set the options to display file details. Click in the title line on the item you want the files sorted by such as file name, or file size, or date modified, etc. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-23-09, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Thx WP..yeah the sorting is no big deal if I just wanted to go with the XP options...I was looking for something that will figure out the artists and all on the music stuff.

harvx....I'll be checking the freeware stuff and free trials...only need it of a day or 2.

Maybe I'll just let Itunes do it's thing...but I don't want to just delete the originals.

Old 01-25-09, 01:14 PM
S
I went through the same thing not long ago getting rid of duplicate files before setting up an online backup service.

I used Dupechecker Atory - Dupe Checker PRO, DupeChecker, DupeChecker for Mac, File dupe Checker