DVD Burner

Old 01-22-09, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DVD Burner

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Windows XP I gig of ram. My dvd burner took a dump. Can no read or copy anything. Getting power to unit but I dont think the Dvd spins. What do I need to know about installing a new Dvd burner. Do I have to load any software before I install the new burner.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-09, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nope, remove the old, slip in the new. XP should find the drivers for it automatically, but if not, pop in the disk.

Old 01-22-09, 05:24 PM
When you get your new unit, check and make sure the jumpers on it are set to the same as your old one. It might be set as master (M) / slave (S) / or cable select (CS).

You may have a cable from your sound card or mother board sound area that connects to the analog audio input. If so, then take note of that. Some are notched and others are not.

Your ribbon cable should only go in one way due to the notch in the connector. If no notch, then Pin 1 has a red stripe on the edge. Match that with the pin layout on your device.

The power connector should only go in one way due to the design of the connector. The yellow lead is +12 volts and the red lead is +5 volts.

All this might be a lot to take in, but it is really simple to do. Just make sure the jumpers in in the right place.

Old 01-22-09, 10:10 PM
Along this line

Hi,
I sort of have something like this going on. I have burned tons of discs and now all of the sudden everytime I put in a disc that I KNOW is blank computer says disc is full or not writeable.
I was told that maybe my CD rom / DVD optical something or another was burnt out (cause I do use alot) anyway I put in a new one & I'm still getting the smae error!
I just know it is some little box that is checked/unchecked that wasn't before but have no idea what! The only thing that has been done is maintenance like compressing files & defrag.
ANY IDEAS WELCOME THANKS