How To Replace Monitor Cable?

Old 01-24-09, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 208 Posts
How To Replace Monitor Cable?

I have a Compaq FP7317 flat panel monitor mounted on an articulating arm that gets moved regularly. After two years of repeated movement I'm pretty sure the signal cable is shot. The monitor still works fine but touching or flexing the cable causes changes in the tone (color) of the image. I assume some insulation or a conductor in the cable is broken.

What cable do I need?
What is the easiest way to replace the cable?

Should I get a whole cable assembly, open up the monitor case and replace the whole cable? Or, should I cut out the center section of my cable that gets flexed and replace it? This requires more solder connections and sheilding to worry about but I don't have to crack the monitor case.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 08:30 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I have the same problem, and have been putting off fixing it.

But, I think replacing the whole cable is the way to go. Splicing the old one may introduce more problems than it fixes.
Doug

Old 01-25-09, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I seriously doubt it will be very easy to replace the cable on those. They are usually very small solders and would be nearly impossible to do with a consumer solder iron.

Old 01-28-09, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 208 Posts
I purchased a video cable from WallyWorld and cut the end off and opened up the case on my monitor. The cable used in the monitor has four more conductors than the extension cable I was going to use for the new cable. Next time I get really bored I'll get out the meter and figure out how to make the cable work.

Basically, replacing the monitor cable will not be too bad if you are used to electronics work. There is a fair bit of work dealing with the multiple shielded cables but other than that it is not a horrible job if you are handy and patient. A fine tip soldering iron will be needed but temp control is not critical since there you will not be touching any electronic components and you can connect to the wires extending from the existing connector inside the monitor (you do not have to solder to the circuit board, or buy a new socket).