disable automatic network finding

Old 02-04-09, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
disable automatic network finding

I have an Acer Aspire laptop with Vista. Apparently it has a default function which, at the time of booting up the pc, begins automatically searching for available wireless networks to which to connect. I would prefer it not do this. After/during bootup I can always press the particular keyboard button which can "disable LAN" (or conversely enable it) which does give me control, but isn't there a method whereby I can set the pc so that when I turn it on it will NOT automatically start searching out network connections? Perhaps this automatic searching out networks is some sort of convenience feature, but I'd rather be the one to decide when I'm ready to search out connections and connect to any networks. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-09, 06:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So far I haven't found the name of the exe but look under the startup tab in msconfig. Uncheck it if you find it, reboot, click ok and don't return to normal startup.

Old 02-07-09, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
So far I haven't found the name of the exe but look under the startup tab in msconfig. Uncheck it if you find it, reboot, click ok and don't return to normal startup.
Okay, thanks Pulpo. There's several .exe listings there that seem like they might be related. I tried unchecking almost all of them and rebooted and didn't return to normal startup as you suggested but still continued to have same issue. I even contacted Acer tech support but they didn't seem to want to understand what I was talking about, just kept sending me advice about how to turn off Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center, which is a different thing altogether.

I finally ust went into Device Manager and disabled the wireless network adapter, and that took care of it. I don't use the network adapter anyway so it'll be fine.
thanks again