Desktop icons missing... Virus?

Old 02-04-09, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Desktop icons missing... Virus?

Wow walked in the office and half of the shortcut icons are missing. Normally there are about 40 in nice neat columns. Today there is 22 with groups missing in the columns. What would have caused this? Do I have a virus? My OS is Windows XP home with service pack 3 I believe. I have Windows Live Onecare and it is all clean and green. I do have an external hard drive so the computer is backed up. Should I be alarmed about this? Is this a sign of bad things to come or has someone been fooling around on my computer? How do I get the shortcuts back? Thanks for any help or opinion you can give!

X

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-09, 01:32 PM
Look in your recycle bin.

Old 02-05-09, 03:23 PM
Corporate or business office? At large corporations the IS departments are cracking down on lowly users.

In fairness, I saw one coworker with Limewire on the desktop. She complained one day that it was gone. She actually had the audacity to call the Help Desk and ask why IS removed it from her work computer!

If it's a home office, maybe Windows decided to "Clean Up Unused Desktop Icons." It does that every now & then. The default is to ask first, but if someone else was using the machine and clicked OK it will simply move them to the recycle bin, as Toofer suggested.

Old 09-01-09, 07:28 AM
Final update. The wife did it. She was asked if she wanted to get rid of unused icons and she replied yes. So mystery solved... thanks for your help!

Old 09-01-09, 10:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wives are so much fun when it comes to computers!! Mine will ask me, "what is this?", and before I can get to her chair, she clicks "OK", I guess because she is so impatient. Told her to stay away from mine, don't even open it up.

Old 09-01-09, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Corporate or business office? At large corporations the IS departments are cracking down on lowly users.

In fairness, I saw one coworker with Limewire on the desktop. She complained one day that it was gone. She actually had the audacity to call the Help Desk and ask why IS removed it from her work computer!

If it's a home office, maybe Windows decided to "Clean Up Unused Desktop Icons." It does that every now & then. The default is to ask first, but if someone else was using the machine and clicked OK it will simply move them to the recycle bin, as Toofer suggested.

You mean the "IT" department Information Technology

Old 09-01-09, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well, some are called Information Services..

Old 09-01-09, 11:19 AM
A lot of companies called them Information Services or Systems, because they cover more than the technology.