better update time

Old 02-07-09, 11:50 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
better update time

Because I use a dialup network connection I would like to save bandwidth while connected and browsing, but some tasks, particularly when my antivirus/security program does its routine updating, slows my browsing to an even slower crawl, and takes some time as you can imagine to finally finish its process. If I leave my pc on sleep/hibernate overnight is there a way I can have it set to automatically dial in and connect to my dialup connection, run the security updating, then disconnect and go back to sleep? How might this be done, if at all possible? I'd like to do this on two separate pc's, one with Vista and one with XP.

Old 03-02-09, 09:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would say automate the process via a scripting / programming language - most likely VBScript. Then, you can schedule the script to run via Windows Scheduler.

Old 03-03-09, 08:19 AM
T
Can you not even get verizon wireless where you live? Get you an air card from them, even that is faster than dialup.

I realize this is not a direct answer to your question, but didn't know if you had considered it as an option.

Old 03-03-09, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Can you not even get verizon wireless where you live? Get you an air card from them, even that is faster than dialup.

I realize this is not a direct answer to your question, but didn't know if you had considered it as an option.
No I had not considered it as an option. For one thing, I'm fairly certain without checking first that we can't get Verizon wireless where I live (relatively remote SE Alaska community). Broadband is available, both cable and DSL, through two ISP's here, but I'm using dialup instead to save money. So the idea of getting an air card and Verizon and all that sounds like it would just cost more money which I don't have much of. Thanks

Old 03-04-09, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
I would say automate the process via a scripting / programming language - most likely VBScript. Then, you can schedule the script to run via Windows Scheduler.
Scrumbag would you be willing to provide me with a relatively easy method or beginner's steps by which I can do as you're suggesting here, considering I've never created a script, worked with VBScript, or used Windows Scheduler before. thanks

Old 03-30-09, 06:11 AM
E
Does your antivirus/security program have a built-in scheduler? Most of them do. Do a search in the program's HELP file for 'Scheduling'.

There should be controls for when it looks for updates as well as when it does scans. If it is scanning while you're online, it will slow down your surfing massively.

Old 03-30-09, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
Does your antivirus/security program have a built-in scheduler? Most of them do. Do a search in the program's HELP file for 'Scheduling'.
There should be controls for when it looks for updates as well as when it does scans. If it is scanning while you're online, it will slow down your surfing massively.
Yeah, it has a built-in scheduler. But what I specifically am looking for is a way to make the pc come out of hiberation or sleep during the night, connect on its own to the ISP so it'll be online, do its updating, then go back offline and go back to sleep. It's not the scanning that slows down the online browsing that much, but rather the downloading of the security/anti-virus updates. I was hoping to get advice about relatively easy method or beginner's steps by which I can automate the process via a scripting / programming language - most likely VBScript, as was an earlier suggestion in this thread. Then, apparently, I could schedule the script to run via Windows Scheduler. That sounds good but I would need help doing it (which I haven't got yet).

Old 03-30-09, 05:34 PM
E
I haven't used dial-up for a while but I seem to remember a setting in the ISP connect routine that offered 'Connect Automatically'. I don't know what you are using (I use Firefox & a DSL connection) but look under 'Internet Options' or 'Tools' ... 'connections' ... 'settings'.

There might be something related to "how you connect to the internet..." with a box that offers an automatic setting.

If that is available and if you leave your computer on and your anti-virus program is set to update, it should dial up/connect without the need for a script.

I may be wrong here but its worth a look.

Old 03-30-09, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
I haven't used dial-up for a while but I seem to remember a setting in the ISP connect routine that offered 'Connect Automatically'. I don't know what you are using (I use Firefox & a DSL connection) but look under 'Internet Options' or 'Tools' ... 'connections' ... 'settings'.
There might be something related to "how you connect to the internet..." with a box that offers an automatic setting. If that is available and if you leave your computer on and your anti-virus program is set to update, it should dial up/connect without the need for a script. I may be wrong here but its worth a look.
There is an option there to "dial whenever a network connection is not present". But because it's a dial-up connection and ties up the phone line whenever it's connected, I would need it to wake up and dial in and connect at night just long enough to do the updating, then go offline by itself after the updating is complete, and go back to sleep. And there's no programming/setting available to make it do all that automatically.

Old 03-30-09, 08:45 PM
D
this is what I'd do

As often as I wanted to do an update; 1/week etc. I'd call in on dial up right before going to bed. Also after anyone expected to use the phone-like kids. Then set up your downloads and go to bed. Next day your done and the comp may have even gone back to sleep. The downside is that your phone is tied up in the middle of the night and no one can reach you in an emergency. I used to do this before verizon DSL

Old 03-31-09, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by duketbear View Post
As often as I wanted to do an update; 1/week etc. I'd call in on dial up right before going to bed. Also after anyone expected to use the phone-like kids. Then set up your downloads and go to bed. Next day your done and the comp may have even gone back to sleep. The downside is that your phone is tied up in the middle of the night and no one can reach you in an emergency. I used to do this before verizon DSL
Nope, I would prefer it be a more automated process as I described, where it wakes up or comes out hibernation in the middle of the night, connects to the internet by itself, downloads anti-virus updates, goes back offline, and goes back to sleep, all by itself.

Old 03-31-09, 02:26 PM
you could use an automation tool such as autoit to control the pc as you desire. autoit can simulate keystrokes and mouse movements to control any application.

it includes a very good help file to assist you. after your script is complete, compile it to an executable and set it to run via task scheduler.

AutoIt v3 - Automate and Script Windows Tasks - For Free!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: