Locked out of computer

Old 02-14-09, 05:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Locked out of computer

I'm using windows XP. I downloaded some malicious software that created an icon in the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar that said I had a virus and should download some product to take care of it. A pop-up came up and froze my computer, unable to alt-cntl-delete or close it. I realized immediately that this was a virus.

I shut the computer down and reloaded in safe mode. I ran my virus software. I had a few trojans and a couple other things I didn't get a good look at. I clicked to remove the bad files after the scan was complete using malware remover software. It said a few could not be removed and it said it would restart the computer and remove the remaining malware. the computer restarted and I failed to load it in safemode so it loaded normally. I tried to log in to windows, and it said applying settings, loading, saving settings, logging out. Restart again, this time in safe mode, and I still could not log in. Cannot log in to windows in anyway.

So, Im locked out of the computer. Pretty sure this is a software issue. The only thing I'm not sure about is in my settings in f10 says my primary IDE slave is not functioning or something along those lines.

If anybody knows anyway to get my other computer working, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 05:51 PM
locked out of computer

Hi there,
A thought you might want to try if no one has a direct way
to get you back in (logged in) to your computer; might be to get another hard drive, disconnect your current drive, install new drive in computer, install windows on the new drive, then hook up your original drive as a slave and at least try to recover (move) your documents and other important stuff you care about to the new drive. That would also cover your tail before you go after the original drive by itself and possibly loose everything.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-09, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Stick your OEM Windows CD in, reboot, (recovery, etc) and do a fresh reload. I would not try what 'benzme' stated because viruses spread like wildfire.

Hopefully you backed up your documents.

Old 02-14-09, 06:22 PM
Respectfully, better than loosing everything (IMO)

Mr moderator, Respectfully.

Yes viruses might spread but if he doesn't have backups
It would give him a chance to gather important items and then try to recover the original drive.
The worst (IMO) would be that the second drive ends up with the virus and He starts over anyway.

Thanks,

Old 02-14-09, 06:33 PM
I'm going to try to do the "repair" with the OS disk. Thanks for input. I would prefer to not wipe the hard drive, but if thats what it comes down to...

Old 02-14-09, 06:48 PM
Actually, the keyboard is being disabled when I need to press R for repair. Keyboard is normally functional. Not sure if this is virus related.

Old 03-26-09, 10:04 PM
Old thread, I know, but maybe this will help someone doing a seach.

At the logon screen try typing in "administrator" or even "guest". I have had this happen before and it worked.