I got the bug :(

Old 02-16-09, 06:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I got the bug :(

Unfortunately, I got infected with antivirus 360. Man,...is that a booger of a malware.

So, I got SpyHunter 3 and MalwareRemovalBot. It seems to have taken care of it for now.

Is there a good program out there to help your computer run quicker? Ever since I got this bug, my computer is SOOOOOOOO SLLLLLLOOOWWWW!

Thank you! I appreciate it. I have Windows XP.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-09, 04:15 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You probably have hundreds of snippets left over from that nasty bug. You could try to clean the registry, but if your computer has been serving you well for a year or so it might be time to do a disk format & clean install. Since the box is running again, you can back up all of your stuff to an external USB drive, format the C drive, and then transfer all of your stuff back to the computer.

Gather all necessary discs, free up an afternoon, have some cold brews on hand, slip the WinXP CD into the drive, and hit the button.

Old 02-17-09, 04:59 PM
R
Thank you, Rick!!

I do have a backup system on my computer, it backs up to so much, but it does backup frequently and I have Norton Utilities on my system, too.

Would that work to do all the cleaning?

Old 02-18-09, 07:45 AM
Hi RMCHomeowner,

In my opinion, unless you know when and how you got the malware and you have a backup created before the infection, I don't think you'll get an effective solution just installing a backup

A clean installation of the system is always a good idea, however, if your malware is embedded in one or more *.exe files, the problem will appear again as soon as you install the "bad" program or app.
For example, Broderbund's programs use to set several spyware bugs. You can format the disk and do a clean installation of the program, but as soon as you open an old file, the bugs will appear again in the *.exe files with the same old date

Again, in my opinion, I'd try to clean the "monster" first
Lavasoft has a great (and free!!!) product --> Ad-Aware - Anniversary Edition--> Download / install it and run a full scan--> you will be surprised with the findings and the results!!

Old 02-18-09, 06:36 PM
R
Hi pmgca,

The only thing I worry about, though, is that I already have SpySweeper, Norton Antivirus, the Norton Utilities, malwareremovalbot and if I download another one, like the Lavasoft...is that going to be too much for my computer?

Old 02-18-09, 07:35 PM
Hi RMCHomeowner,

I don't think so: I have in the same computer Norton 360 PE + Spybot Search & Destroy + Lavasoft

I don't like SpySweeper. I read that it doesn't check the file content, but just the names, so a malware can be in your computer with an innocent name and it will remain undetected forever.
Norton is good for virus but it is almost useless against malware