Ripping DVDs to a PC Library

Old 02-18-09, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ripping DVDs to a PC Library

I have been wanting to set up a video library on an external hard drive so I can play back movies on my new 1080p widescreen. My TV has an ethernet interface to my networked computer. I have a few questions for anyone with experience in this....

1) My DVDs are all original copies that I purchased in a store. Am I legally allowed to copy to a hard drive for play back on my own system.

2) I have down loaded demo versions of DVD ripping software from a few sources. All appear about the same to me. I realize this isn't the forum to ask for reccomendations, but is there any specifiations to look for?

3) When I load in a DVD for recording, the screen indicates that the video is coming in at 720x480, it seems like the resolution ought to be a lot higher.... is this a limitation or the software?, the computer's DVD drive? or the original disk?

4) When a DVD is ripped... is the original surround sound audio lost?

5) According to the book, my TV will only recognize video formats MPEG1, MPEG2 and MPEG4... However, if I rip the DVD in the software's MP4 format my TV can't read it.... I am only successful if I rip at MPEG2 setting. Do I loose quality doing this? Should I work harder to figure out why the MPEG4 format doesn't work? In the ripping software, MPEG4 and MP4 appear to be the same format, is this possibly not true?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or critisim.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 06:51 AM
I'll answer as much as my expertise allows.

1. It is not illeagal to copy your dvds to hard drive. In fact you are legally allowed to make backup copies of the disc incase the original gets destroyed somehow. Sharing/selling these files or copies is where you get into problems. Pardon the pun, but no one gives a "rip" if you copy your discs to hard drive.

2. Don't have alot of experience with ripping dvds, can't give any good suggestions here

3. 720x480 is the only resolution you will get off of a dvd. That's 480p, normal resolution for older tvs. Some dvd players upconvert to 1080i to make the picture look a little better, but it's not true high def. For that you'll need Blu-Ray movies. True 1080p.

4. The audio track should not be lost in ripping, unless maybe a trial version of a particular software does that so the software is not fully functional.

5. Not too sure on this, I know the MPEG4 format can include several different types of streams, maybe yours is recording something your tv doesn't support. Try a different ripping program, or a different setting. Again, not an expert on this.

Old 02-20-09, 02:48 PM
what kind of tv is it? a model number would help me tell you what you need to do.

Old 02-23-09, 09:47 AM
Sorry for the delay... I had to resolve some computer issues this weekend and didn't have access to e-mail

The TV model number is a Samsung LN52A850

Here is a link to the user manual etc.

download center SAMSUNG

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-23-09, 12:32 PM
While you may be legally entitled to copy a DVD as such, most commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS copy protection. With that, it is illegal to defeat copy protection under the DMCA, even for the purposes of personal backup.

Old 02-24-09, 01:59 AM
I have a question--If you really own these DVD movies--why are you waisting
time copying them to a PC.
Why don't you play them to your TV thru a DVD player.
There's lots of ways to copy movies---problem is--there are all illegal...................

Old 02-24-09, 04:49 AM
Yes, I REALLY do own these movie DVDs..... we buy the older movies from the large discount stores in the $5 bins... haven't rented movies for years, but last time I did, it was about the same price.

A better question might be... given the choice... why would anyone want to deal with disks? With the movie DVDs located on an external harddrive, I would have the advantage of:

1) Select available movies from hard disk library through the TV menu (see original post). Personal home movies are currently used with this method and its great... convenient for kids and elderly parent to find available movies and no need for them to learn how to use additional hardware. Note: the home movies are also on DVDs, but are kept off site for back up protection.
2) The hard disk is very portable... i.e. its a lot easier to take one HD on the road in the car instead of 10 or 20 DVDs.
3) As stated in number one above... backup. We take pretty good care of the DVDs... however, the kids never seem to put them back in the right case, or put the case on the book shelf, etc.

Old 02-24-09, 02:35 PM
i have a dvd collection as well. all backed up on my pc. i still can't get vista media center to play vob files. i may have to check which file formats it supports and convert my collection over to one.

it is so nice to be able to play dvd's through media center instead of fussing with the player. anyone with kids know how easily damaged dvd's get. i had to purchase the same wii disc's several times over (same with ps2).

you might say the same with photographs. why keep it in print form when digital is way more efficient.

-a|ex

Old 02-24-09, 11:09 PM
DVD files are actually MPEG2. Many times, depending on how it was originally encoded, you can copy the VOB (video object) files to your hard drive and change the .vob extension to .mpg or .m2p and it will play.

The audio is embedded, or multiplexed, into a VOB, so it shouldn't go away when you rip a DVD. If it's a Dolby audio track it requires a licensed codec for the player, which is usually a paid add-on for whatever player you got with a DVD burner.

Old 02-25-09, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Devine Shadow View Post
i have a dvd collection as well. all backed up on my pc. i still can't get vista media center to play vob files. i may have to check which file formats it supports and convert my collection over to one.

it is so nice to be able to play dvd's through media center instead of fussing with the player. anyone with kids know how easily damaged dvd's get. i had to purchase the same wii disc's several times over (same with ps2).

you might say the same with photographs. why keep it in print form when digital is way more efficient.

-a|ex
Why do you want to play VOB files on Windows Media Center
when you can play them on Windows Media Player???????

Old 02-25-09, 11:27 AM
Because you don't have to use the mouse on media center, just the remote.

You might be able to play VOB files if you install one of the codec packs. ffdshow seems to play everything I have thrown through it, barring Apple media files.

Old 02-26-09, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by txrxio View Post
Because you don't have to use the mouse on media center, just the remote.

You might be able to play VOB files if you install one of the codec packs. ffdshow seems to play everything I have thrown through it, barring Apple media files.

Get yourself a wireless mouse & keyboard--then you
can spend lots of time playing--push the button game

Old 02-26-09, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
Get yourself a wireless mouse & keyboard--then you
can spend lots of time playing--push the button game
the interface on media center is much better than media player. MC is similar to PSP's interface.

and thanks txrxio, ffdshow did the job. also, i changed the media center registry to gallery instead of play (seen that somewhere on the web to show the dvd collection: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DvdSettings]
"ShowGallery"="Gallery").

dvd rips are working fine on media center, now to convert some older vhs collections as well. next on the list are my vinyl record collection from college.

-a|ex

Old 03-17-09, 08:36 AM
AnyDVD runs in the background on your pc to handle copy protection on the dvd. DVD Shrink 3.2 will allow you to rip and save both audio and video to your hard drive. Google both for more info. None of this works for Blue ray, only DVD.