Windows Live Messenger

Old 03-02-09, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows Live Messenger

Hi all,

I'm new to Windows Vista and was wondering how to control the applications that run at start up? I don't use Windows live messenger and I'd like keep it from launching when I start my computer.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 03:26 PM
Simplest solution......

Go to the Options tab in messenger and "Uncheck" -"Start messenger when windows starts"....This will prevent it from loading at windows startup.

The other solutions involve editing the registry, so unless youre familiar with it, I suggest to avoid it, as you could concievably make a real mess that cant be undone.

Old 03-02-09, 05:39 PM
That worked! Thanks Uncle D!

Old 03-03-09, 07:22 AM
T
You don't have to edit the registry to remove startup items, you CAN, but you don't have too.

You can go to 'start", "search", and type msconfig and hit enter. This will bring up a dialogue box, click on the startup tab. In it you will see all the items that start at boot, you can uncheck them to keep them from starting. Don't however uncheck everything and expect your machine to run correctly. Only remove the things you know you don't use, like messenger, or quicktime update, or adobe update, things like that.

You can always google the name of something to see if it's a process you need to keep or not.