video card causing freeze / lock up?

Old 03-03-09, 03:45 PM
video card causing freeze / lock up?

Hello everyone,
My HP m7360n desktop is having issues. After a bunch of trial and error, even doing a complete system restore to as it was out of the box I have learned that the computer works fine until I change the screen resolution to anything other than 640X480. If I do change it the computer locks up.
This started as a random lock up issue. I have updated drivers, bios, etc. It does the same with the original drivers as well as updated drivers.
My question is: Does this sound like the video card is just bad or what? The card in question is Nvidia GeForce 6200 SE with TurboCache.
I found a GeForce 9400 GT 1GB that I'm looking to replace it with, any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-09, 05:24 PM
Hi duigoose,

I am not a big enthusiast of the GE Force video cards, but in this case, I don't think that this is the cause of the problem
I'd check 3 issues
- Power Supply
- Fan
- Memory

Verify the state of these elements first, and think about a new VC after

Old 03-03-09, 07:38 PM
After checking those let us know a few things...

1. How much RAM you have?
2. How much memory does the video card have?

I'm pretty sure all the "turbo cache" ones mooch a big chunk of your main memory for video functions. Think of it as a combination of a discrete and onboard video card. It may be taking enough memory to cause instability once you up the resolution.

Old 03-03-09, 10:00 PM
a little more in depth now

I guess I put this on the back burner too long as it is getting worse. Here is what I have checked today (and thanks for the responses):
- fan; there is a case fan, cpu fan and p/s fan. all three are running and clean.
- memory; i am running memtest86 right now and it is on its second pass with no errors. i'll let it run all night though.
- power supply; i guess 300w is a little low and i haven't checked the actual voltage yet but this computer is at it was from the factory after the hdd format and reinstall.

-RAM; there are 4 dimm slots, two open. total ram is 2GB installed
-video memory; 64mb ddr
- running windows xp

Right now, this computer is just as it was when we bought it. Nothing has been changed, nothing added other than regular updates (no hardware changes). This all started with a random lock up. Had to hold the power button in and do a hard reset. This just keeps getting worse and worse until now it will lock up if you look at it wrong.
I doubt it is heat because right now i have the side off the case and a window fan blowing in there.

something strange (to me) is sometimes when it locks up you can just touch the power button and it will power down. other times you have to hold it in for several seconds to power down. all the time though the ir receiver shows it is getting input from the ir keyboard and mouse which leads me to maybe the video is locked up. right now i am using a usb mouse but no change. ok, now i am rambling - thanks for the thoughts.

Old 03-04-09, 05:41 AM
Hi duigoose,

I think that the Power Supply is border line...
Once it is a brand new computer... did you check with the manufacturer?

Other thing to check--> verify if the refreshing rate is at 60 hertz (for example)(Display--> Properties--> Settings--> advanced--> monitor)

Old 03-04-09, 08:05 AM
First off, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Geforce/Nvidia cards.

It does however sound like your video card is toast. The only thing you may want to try is swapping in a known good power supply, other than that, I'd replace it. The cards only about $50 on newegg. And if your power supply is good, it even meets the min requirements for the 9400gt.

Old 03-04-09, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
First off, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Geforce/Nvidia cards.

And if your power supply is good, it even meets the min requirements for the 9400gt.
Perhaps this is your experience. In my line of work (3D), Geforce/Nvidia cards are almost useless. ATI Radeon are the only VCs that work with full acceleration
I am in several forums on this subject and we get complains every day. In my own experience, I have 3 computers--> one with Nvidia and two with ATI... The ATI quality is excellent.

A toasted videocard has other symptoms, different from small resolution--> lines through screen, no screen at all, flickering video, going black during use

The Nvidia experts recommend for this VC a Power supply = or better of 300/350w

An additional comment regarding the drivers--> I learned that some new Nvidia drivers don't work with some computer configs, so I'd suggest to ask specifically about the driver issue in the Nvidia Forum

Old 03-04-09, 02:32 PM
awaiting shipping

thanks everyone for the info!
I bought the 9400gt because it looks like a giant leap up from what I had and was pretty darn cheap. Got that and two more sticks of ram shipped for right at $100. Free shipping hardly ever makes it to HI.
I'll let everyone know how it goes

pmgca - i could see how, with as many driver revisions have been made since this machine came out, driver conflict could be an issue but i can't wrap my head around it not working after hdd format and a fresh reinstall with the original drivers.

i've got another issue to tackle (in this same forum) so i will update what happens on this one when the card comes in the mail.

Old 03-04-09, 03:04 PM
Hi duigoose,

Yes, please let us know. I am really curious!

Old 03-04-09, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I must say, I'm a ATI fan. Never had good luck with Geforce.

Old 03-04-09, 03:18 PM
I can't agree more

I upgraded to my 4th ATI, without problems. But the original and the upgraded Geforce, both showed problems

Old 03-05-09, 07:19 AM
Wow, what are you guys doing with those things. I've bought nothing but Nvidia cards in the last 10 years, and for the first 8 of those I was a heavy gamer. Never had a problem.

Old 03-05-09, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
LOL Sounds like a Ford vs Chevy debate here.

I had to upgrade my wifes video, since the onboard couldn't support the new monitors native resolution...the ATI card I bought couldn't do it either even after downloading drivers and patches, etc. Exchanged it for an NVidia GeForce something or other, not upper end for sure...badda bing...no problem.

Same thing when I blew the video card on this one. Plug it in the slot..pow...working right away.

No high end gaming or video editing stuff for this kid.

Old 03-05-09, 08:36 AM
I think that this depends a lot of the computer where you are installing the card and the type of activity developed (this is why I mentioned my line of work)
The good video card for gaming don't necessarily work for rendering purposes and vice versa. And there is a good reason for this
I was part of a group analyzing the vc behavior during the rendering / gaming process. If you develop a house in 3D (for example) precision is necessary, as well as the scale of the textures, constructive details, etc. In this context, speed is secondary. The ATI VCs provide excellent details using accelerations. But, as the Nvidia cards have a good speed, the rendering of the details is poor. I tested a game (one of the Harry Potter series) with Nvidia, and yes, the speed is good, but if you pay attention to the textures' scales and the castle's details, you will see that the accuracy is not good
Of course, the person playing a game doesn't care if the tiles have the exact dimension.
3D Rendering programs used with Nvidia must be used without accelerations, so the VC can render the details.

Old 03-05-09, 08:53 AM
your video card has a good chance of overheating or is not using the latest drivers, causing your crashes if it does not support anything over the resolution you mentioned.

edit: a new card would fix this, whether its a faulty video card, bad fan on video card, etc.

I thought he mentioned having this just out of the box, but I may be wrong. Id work with warranty first. Opening the case may void it. Just wasnt sure if this was still warranty or not.

Old 03-09-09, 02:41 PM
can o' worms

here is the update:
the new card and ram works like a charm. i'm resolved to the fact that the video card was bad and for my price and use the nvidia will be fine.

the can o' worms comes in from the fact that after the reinstall of xp the computer will no longer play a dvd in mce or in any other program. watching tv and streaming video from a nas device works fine. plus the fact that my routers aren't playing nice and my pctv to go doesn't want to be remote anymore.

when you don't do this stuff on a daily basis anymore technology seems to pass you by.......
thanks for the help and i'm sure i'll be starting some new thread soon.