Why is my wife's laptop so hot?

Old 03-05-09, 10:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why is my wife's laptop so hot?

My wife's laptop is uncomfortably hot at times... so hot she doesn't want it on her lap. I can hear a fan running but sure could use some advice on what to check/do. I wouldn't think that it is normal.

Old 03-06-09, 02:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
The battery will get hot, I have 2 of them and I always have to use a cool pad under them. Sell for less than 20$ at most computer stores. ALso I know BJ's have them.

Old 03-06-09, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mine also gets hot, it isn't the battery though, its actually the computer, b/c you are blocking the fan intake when it is on a pillow or on your lap. This happens to me when it is plugged in, but when it is running off the battery it isn't nearly as bad. My ac adapter on the charging cable gets super hot!!

Old 03-06-09, 04:31 AM
J
In some cases even if the fan is running, the heatsink falls loose against the processor making the heatsink unable to absorb and dispense heat properly. You may need to clean out the vents with a can of compressed air. If that doesn't work, call the manufacturer becouse if there is a heat issue on a certain model even if its out of warranty, they will service the unit for free.

Old 03-06-09, 07:14 AM
M
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
The battery will get hot, I have 2 of them and I always have to use a cool pad under them. Sell for less than 20$ at most computer stores. ALso I know BJ's have them.
I have seen them and will get one... thanks.

Old 03-06-09, 07:17 AM
M
Originally Posted by diyplank View Post
Mine also gets hot, it isn't the battery though, its actually the computer, b/c you are blocking the fan intake when it is on a pillow or on your lap. This happens to me when it is plugged in, but when it is running off the battery it isn't nearly as bad. My ac adapter on the charging cable gets super hot!!
Hers is always plugged in too. Perghaps it should not be plugged in so much?

Old 03-06-09, 07:39 AM
A
It's actually very normal for some laptops to run VERY hot. It's really a design flaw and laptops are mis-named.

They're really not for putting on your lap, but rather so you can move around with them easily -- they're portable.

There are several things you could try depending on the age of the laptop. There are "power saving" settings that can reduce the amount of heat the CPU generates. Making sure all of those are on will reduce the heat build up.

These settings, will 1) Reduce the running speed of the CPU when not in use, stop the hard disk from spinning when not in use, turn down the power to the video chips when idle long enough. All of these will reduce the heat output of the unit.

Old 03-06-09, 08:48 AM
T
I believe the first thing that should be asked is......was it always this hot, or has it gotten hotter over time? There could be something wrong with the laptop as one of the other posters stated. I have actually had a laptop on which the cpu heatsink came loose and caused problems.

This is a VERY important piece of info, please respond with this first.

Old 03-06-09, 12:24 PM
T
Just put something flat under it rather than directly on the lap. I have a thin piece of wood to rest mine on and it isn't uncomfortable (or at least any more so than the laptop itself), but you can use a book or binder as long as it is big enough to rest the rubber pads on. Much cheaper than the special things you can buy and performs the same pupose.

Old 03-07-09, 07:06 AM
M
My wife mentioned that it does not happen all the time.

Old 03-09-09, 11:30 PM
She probably is just blocking the vent sometimes. I have cool pads for underneath my laptops. They have fans in them that help keep them cool. I think even if they're not uncomfortably hot they should be on a cool pad. It seems heat generation is the laptop's downfall. The cooler you keep your processor the longer it'll last.

Old 03-11-09, 05:28 AM
Cool Why is my wife's laptop so hot?

Have you try the docking adapter that as some fan ventilation on it?, that will be the most effective way to keep the laptop PC fresh.
Another way will be by cleaning the vents and fans with and air dust remover. By doing this, it will clean dust that as been build up trough the years.
I believed that it all depends on the type of processor (AMD / Intel) and the clocking speed. For instance, I have a Sony Vaio with Pentium Celeron that will really go hot after booting up.

Here is a video that actually explain you better about this issue.

YouTube - Notebook Cooler

Not enough?

YouTube - Can We Botch It? Yes We Can! Part 1 Homemade Laptop Cooler

YouTube - Hardcore Laptop Cooling

Old 03-14-09, 04:23 PM
M
I had a laptop cooler all the time and didn't know it!
I don't think she'll go for the box fan though.
The USB powered cooler looks interesting... anyone in favor of that?

Old 03-15-09, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Been using one for a Beats a hot lap.

Old 04-01-09, 10:51 AM
A
My new Dell XPS m1530 ran pretty warm until I hit F1 (or was it DEL?) to enter the bios and switch the cooling fans to "performance mode".

I also popped off the fan cover on the underside of the notebook, carefully removed the heatsink's copper contact plate off the CPU itself by removing 4 screws. I then cleaned off the crappy white thermal grease PC manufacturers use for a thermal compound to transfer heat from the CPU core into the heatsink with a nice thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound.

It works FAR better than that white grease crap. Check out the reviews on newegg.com. Stuff is pretty darn good for 3,000 customers to write reviews.... Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: