Moving computer

Old 03-14-09, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving computer

I want to move my computer to another room. It is connected to a cable modem. Do I have to reroute the entire modem to that room, or can I just get a patch cord? I have a crawl space and I am hoping that I only have to run a cord from the modem to the back of the PC leaving the modem where it is now, on the other end of the house. If I can do this what type of cord do I need to use. I made up a network (568B) cord to test it prior to moving it, but it had no connectivity. Am I missing something?

Old 03-14-09, 02:05 PM
I made up a network (568B) cord to test it prior to moving it, but it had no connectivity. Am I missing something?
use a pre made patch cord or better yet run some cat5e solid cable in the crawl space , terminate it to a cat5e jack in each room then use a factory made patch cords

or go wireless

Old 03-14-09, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback, but I do network wiring for a living. I'm sure that you know that the patch cord runs from the back of the PC into the modem, so why would I run some cat5 from jack to jack? Like I said before am I missing something? That is how it is run now, with just a patch cord, so I'm not sure if I am doing something incorrectly. I know alot about structured cabling, but I am stumped here. DUH!

Old 03-14-09, 11:22 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would check your terminations if you used Cat5 and RJ45 connectors. They are a common fail point. Do you have a Cat5 tester?

Mango suggested the two wall plates so you don't have an ugly wire running along the floor from one room into another.

Old 03-15-09, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback, but I do network wiring for a living.
and you cant move your own pc to another room without asking for help at a DIY forum ??

you don't know if you have to move the modem or if you can NETWORK them

that's scary

you may do it for a living but making your own cables is a "bad practice" and leads to the type of issues you describe

do yourself a favor and do it right

(I've been doing it for a living since '84 )

Last edited by mango man; 03-15-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-15-09, 01:36 PM
T
Is it possible that your current short patch cable is a cross-over, and the one you made is not ?

(Or Vise versa).

You should be able to do this as long as the cable is Cat 5, and the distance is not too great (100 meters ?)

( you sure set yourself up by telling everyone you do this for a living !!)

Old 03-15-09, 02:20 PM
Thumbs up

I appreciate all the help. I know, I may run cable, but I guess I was having a brain fart yesterday... Too much thinking, too much going on! This actually was a no-brainer. Sometimes I just over think things. I am only human and bound to make mistakes, but that is how we learn. Thanks for the advice!?!
Also, yes I do have a tester. Thanks again.

Last edited by wiregoddess1124; 03-15-09 at 02:24 PM. Reason: adding dialogue
Old 03-15-09, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow................................

Old 03-15-09, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What Mark...that someone didn't take offense and admitted they just had a "moment"? lol

Old 03-15-09, 04:01 PM
Mark pleads the 5th..................

Old 03-15-09, 05:51 PM
Just to keep the slamming going

100 meters that's like 300 feet right? My installer said something like not running more than 100 feet of wire, with out adding on another router (to me its a booster) of some sort. Anyway slam on but use respect for were all not experts. Beer 4U2

Old 03-15-09, 07:25 PM
N
Originally Posted by wiregoddess1124 View Post
I want to move my computer to another room. It is connected to a cable modem. Do I have to reroute the entire modem to that room, or can I just get a patch cord? I have a crawl space and I am hoping that I only have to run a cord from the modem to the back of the PC leaving the modem where it is now, on the other end of the house. If I can do this what type of cord do I need to use. I made up a network (568B) cord to test it prior to moving it, but it had no connectivity. Am I missing something?
why not use 2 wireless aps and turn 1 into a bridge with dd-wrt. Just make sure you buy the correct version. Very easy to install. I needed connectivity near my tv for sonys location free product. So I bought a linksys wrt-54g router and turned it into a bridge. You can get them around $30 to $40.

Old 03-16-09, 05:09 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willywhy View Post
100 meters that's like 300 feet right? My installer said something like not running more than 100 feet of wire, with out adding on another router (to me its a booster) of some sort. Anyway slam on but use respect for were all not experts. Beer 4U2
Are you sure you didn't confuse the two? 100 meters or 339 feet are the upper limits. Keep in mind, though, that these are the upper limits to meet the Cat5e specification at its highest bandwidth of 100mbps. Longer runs can work, but will reduce the bandwidth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: