2 Software questions

Old 03-16-09, 08:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Software questions

1) I've been using Lavasoft's Ad-Aware for a couple years,and lately it doesn't erase all the junk it comes across,and suggests that re-booting will eliminate the rest.
Is there something better out there ?

2) I have also been reading about free registry cleaners,but need some advice on them,and what seems to be the best?

Thanks

Old 03-16-09, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Many times programs like ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy etc, can't remove things because they are actively being used or running. Just like some updates...have to reboot and remove/update them before they actually start.

AdAware is pretty highly recommended...I'm sure there are others...I've never had any issues so I haven't looked. All my protection stuff is free..so I put up with the quirks.

Dunno about the cleaners....I used CC Cleaner (?) once, but wound up upgrading the OS anyway.

Old 03-16-09, 09:01 AM
Thanks for reply. I don't really have a grip except for the re-booting thing that seems to have happened with Ad-Aware's update at some time.

I came across a news article on how registry cleaners can help to clean up your computer if your not computer savvy enough to do it yourself.

Old 03-16-09, 09:50 AM
Hi daswede,

I started to use Lavasoft in 2006 and I was a happy user until 2008. Adware 2008 was a version full of bugs, so I unistalled it and continued to use Adware SE, downloading and installing the definitions manually. This year, I installed the Lavasoft Anniversary Edition in my laptop and it worked like a charm. However, when I installed it in my main computer, it didn't work.
I ran AE with result zero critical objects, and immediately after this, I ran SE--> it found lots of critical objects
I contacted Lavasoft, without a concrete answer
I know that there are other users in the same situation.

So, unless you have an old version, I'd suggest that you unistall Lavasoft and install Spybot Search and Destroy

Regarding the Registry Cleaners, I'd suggest that you avoid them if you are not computer savvy--> there are many horror stories (I can tell you my experience....) --> do a Google search with "avoid registry cleaners"

Old 03-16-09, 09:57 AM
Thanks Patricia for the great information.

i guess the old adage applies, "if it ain't broke,don't fix it."

I knew i came to the right place. Thanks all

Old 03-16-09, 03:32 PM
T
ad-aware has always required multiple passes to find everything. it does a good job, its just has to run more than one time to do everything.

Dumping your internet cache/cookies helps speed it up.

Old 03-16-09, 04:50 PM
Not in my case. All my computers have the same OS, the same AV, the same internet protection, the same cookie wall, the same firewall (software and hardware). In some computers, Lavasoft works OK, in my computer, no matter how many times I ran AE, smart or full mode, it dídn't find anything. Not even tracking cookies. Each time lavasoft SE found critical objects

The lavasoft techs examined the scan log and they don't know why it happens

Check the Lavasoft forum--> you will be surprised to see the number of people with the same issue

Old 03-17-09, 05:59 AM
T
then that is just odd behavior. I dont know why it would do such a thing. Best reccomendation is to uninstall and put the program back in. I did not know they had such a bug but I have not used their program in a number of years.

Old 03-17-09, 06:23 AM
Of course, it was the first thing I tried to do--> I uninstalled / installed a number of times--> same behaviour

Yes, in some computers it doesn't work, as in mine and in the poster's computer, for example. The Lavasoft techs don't know why. This is why I find interesting share the experience

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: