Whats after Vista & when?

Old 03-17-09, 01:53 PM
2x2
Whats after Vista & when?

What O.S is coming after Vista and when?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-09, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Windows 7, and who knows when it will be for sale. I'm guessing 2011-12 timeframe.

Old 03-17-09, 05:00 PM
If you want to learn more....

Welcome to Windows 7

Old 03-17-09, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
From the reports I see in Mags and web sites it's looking closer to early 2010 for windows 7. There was a beta out for people to download but it appears that it has ended. For more info go here ----> Welcome to Windows 7

Old 03-18-09, 08:41 AM
2x2
Smile new O.S

Perhaps windows 7 will be the right time to buy a new computer with it installed

Old 03-18-09, 09:12 AM
Windows 7 is fantastic. I did the beta test on a moderate machine, p4 2.8 with 512ram, and it ran great. I was very impressed with it so far.

Can't wait till it comes out.

Old 03-18-09, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 16
Guess that's when I'll upgrade from XP.

Old 03-18-09, 10:43 AM
2x2
Smile 2010

Well it is something to keep in mind
call it a jump right over Vista

Last edited by 2x2; 03-18-09 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add content
Old 04-01-09, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
From the reports I see in Mags and web sites it's looking closer to early 2010 for windows 7. There was a beta out for people to download but it appears that it has ended. For more info go here ----> Welcome to Windows 7

With the incredible speed Microsoft has been able to achieve in developing Windows 7, i wouldn't be surprised if we see it by Christmas 2009. The Beta program is doing very very well and i'm now running Windows 7 Ultimate on both my desktop workstation and my Dell XPS M1530 notebook (which also runs Mac OSx86 Leopard.

I have not had a single problem with Windows 7 Beta 6 months of testing. In contrast, vista was a horror story!

(here is my Windows 7 desktop) *click click*

Old 04-02-09, 09:35 AM
2x2
Life after Vista

Well I'm glad microsoft is coming along great with the future O.S looks good It might spur some folks on to wait till xmas & wait for the new O.S

Old 05-09-09, 09:19 PM
Smile

I have installed Windows 7 Release Candidate and so far it seems AWESOME. I have only been using it for a short time but have had no problem with installing peripherals. Compatibility with programs is much better than i expected, it seems they may have gotten this version right!

So far I am very impressed and if everything keeps going this smooth I will purchase the final version when it is released.

Old 05-10-09, 05:35 AM
2x2
windows 8

I believe I'm running windows 8
also got windowslive
whats the code name for the new O.S

Last edited by 2x2; 05-10-09 at 05:37 AM. Reason: name of new O.S
Old 05-10-09, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
2x2..you may have internet explorer 8, not windows 8. Windows 7 IS the new OS

Old 05-10-09, 07:56 AM
I dont think they used a codename for windows since Longhorn. I forgot now if that was Vista or XP.

Old 05-10-09, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I dont think they used a codename for windows since Longhorn. I forgot now if that was Vista or XP.
Time for useless trivia - XP was code named Whistler, Vista was Longhorn - after a bar at the base of Whistler mountain in BC. There was a OS called Blackcomb as well but never made it out.

Windows 7 is awesome, i am running it on two test systems for work and have had no major issues yet with regular use or in an office environment.

They might have got it right this time Beer 4U2

Old 05-10-09, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
Mircosoft seams to be having an "every other" thing going.
Win 98 = good
ME = bad
XP = good
Vista = bad
Win 7 = ???

Old 05-11-09, 05:35 AM
2x2
windows 7

you folks are right I got it wrong I do believe XP was longhorn
will the new O.S run on average computers when it goes on sale...I will probably stay with what I got until a new computer is needed

Old 05-11-09, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
will the new O.S run on average computers when it goes on sale
I think it will depend on the computer and the hardware it's got. I know my last computer (which was pretty old) could not run Vista. Microsoft usually supplies a test software which you can download, that will check your computer and let you know.

Old 05-11-09, 07:32 AM
So i'm in the market fora new pc and laptop and/or two new laptops. Every where i look the OS on these things is Vista. I'd heard that if you wait long enough, prior to the release of Win 7 MS will give out free upgrades to Vista customers.. any idea if that's true and when it would be?

Old 05-11-09, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I highly doubt it. Microsoft would be in for a HUGE loss of money if they offered that.

Old 05-11-09, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, either the PC manufacturers or possibly the retailer did that a few years back for Vista. I think they just wanted to get you to buy RIGHT NOW, no thinking and waiting and possibly finding a better deal.

Old 05-11-09, 07:39 PM
I am hoping that I can as some point upgrade from Vista to 7. For a very casual computer user....Picasa photos, email, websurf, that's about it....I seem to have had an inordinate amount of issues. Had to do a recovery recently. Yesterday, I bought a new HP C5580 printer, and trying to install, kept getting Fatal Error 2203.

I called and got right through to ninjaboy at HP, and after a THREE HOUR LONG phone session, he did finally get it installed.

I still have issues with IE closing at seemingly random times, etc. Bring on SEVEN!

Old 05-12-09, 06:53 AM
2x2
vista

Originally Posted by Puncture View Post
So i'm in the market fora new pc and laptop and/or two new laptops. Every where i look the OS on these things is Vista. I'd heard that if you wait long enough, prior to the release of Win 7 MS will give out free upgrades to Vista customers.. any idea if that's true and when it would be?

Thats what I'm afraid of computer dealers want to push there old stuff out if they can but I'm going to be looking for the new O.S you can be sure of that

Last edited by 2x2; 05-12-09 at 06:55 AM. Reason: windows 7
Old 05-12-09, 03:52 PM
According to several sites on the web any pc purchased after July 1st with Vista will be offered a free upgrade to 7 from MS. Here's to hoping it's tru and i can hold out that long.

Old 05-22-09, 11:38 AM
Ive had my new laptop for a month and actually like vista. I know everyone seems to hate it, but I was wondering why? What have been the main problems you all have run into?

Old 05-22-09, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
danny...my wifes PC has had Vista since new and we've had exactly 0 problems software wise. It takes a little adjustment time as things are in different places..but again..0 problems. She doesn't do a lot with it but it works fine with all the common browsers and programs.

I'm sure some folks have had issues..but it seems like most of them are related to incompatible hardware and older programs.

Old 05-22-09, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
My new PC came with Vista too and it's the 64-bit and I really like it and haven't had any problems. The only problem I had was that I wasn't able to run a couple of really old programs, but it wasn't that big a deal to hate Vista for.

Old 05-23-09, 07:56 AM
2x2
vista

I should be eligable for a free upgrade because when I bought my laptop...it should of been with vista but the computer dealer wouldn't run vista on any of his computers he was selling because he said it was no good...so what do you think..should I have a talk with my computer dealer about this

Old 05-23-09, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
2x2....I believe everyone here is talking about brand name PC's (Compaq, HP, etc). If you bought a pc from a local shop who builds their own...you get what you got.

That free upgrade thing was back when Vista was first released. And it was only with major manufacturers.

Old 05-24-09, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Mircosoft seams to be having an "every other" thing going.
Win 98 = good
ME = bad
XP = good
Vista = bad
Win 7 = ???
Where's 2000???
Or 95???
Or 3.1???

They were all good

Old 05-24-09, 07:23 AM
I tested the Beta of Windows 7.

Whilst definitely better than Vista, I for one saw no particular reason why I would buy it, or recommend others to upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP.

Whilst yes, when someone buys a new PC that comes with Windows 7, they shouldn't consider down grading or anything, I just don't see any particular 'improvement' in Windows 7 that would make someone upgrade their Windows XP Personal Computer/Laptop to Windows 7.

I'd consider that a waste of money, to be honest

Old 05-25-09, 04:16 AM
2x2
upgrade

Originally Posted by Swalchy View Post
I tested the Beta of Windows 7.

Whilst definitely better than Vista, I for one saw no particular reason why I would buy it, or recommend others to upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP.

Whilst yes, when someone buys a new PC that comes with Windows 7, they shouldn't consider down grading or anything, I just don't see any particular 'improvement' in Windows 7 that would make someone upgrade their Windows XP Personal Computer/Laptop to Windows 7.

I'd consider that a waste of money, to be honest
yes you are most definitely right

Old 05-25-09, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by 2x2 View Post
What O.S is coming after Vista and when?
Snow Leopard for the Mac. (for those people who switched over to a Macintosh when Vista came out).

As far as Microsoft goes, I beta tested Windows 7, and the results were that the 64 bit version lacks a lot of drivers, where as the 32 bit version came complete. It appeared to be an slightly enhanced version of Vista. I personally did not find it faster when I compared it to Vista.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-26-09, 07:43 AM
2x2
windows xp good till 2012

Originally Posted by rbwest View Post
Snow Leopard for the Mac. (for those people who switched over to a Macintosh when Vista came out).

As far as Microsoft goes, I beta tested Windows 7, and the results were that the 64 bit version lacks a lot of drivers, where as the 32 bit version came complete. It appeared to be an slightly enhanced version of Vista. I personally did not find it faster when I compared it to Vista.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I hear windows XP will be supported till 2012 anyhow

Old 05-26-09, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by rbwest View Post

Just my 2 cents worth.

Windows XP x64 suffers a bit from this as well. I had to upgrade my wireless network card because there was no x64 driver for it. But driver support for Windows XP x64 is fine now, and I'd actually consider Windows XP x64 Microsoft's best OS up to now.

I still don't understand the mentality behind releasing a 32-bit OS of Windows 7. 64-bit CPU's have been around for AGES now, and if someone was to buy a new PC, why would they want the potential of their 64-bit processor hindered by a 32-bit OS?

Seriously makes no sense to me. Unless Microsoft are so convinced that those on 32-bit processors are going to be upgrading their PC's to Windows 7 ($200 to upgrade a 32-bit processor PC to the latest OS?), it appears to be a complete waste of time. Should've just released a 64-bit version, and so companies wouldn't spend time making 32-bit compatible drivers and concentrate on the far superior 64-bit ones instead.

If I was to buy a new PC now, with Windows 7, why would I want my AMD X4 64-bit CPU hindered by a 32-bit OS?

I'd rather install linux.

And tbh, many are saying that Windows 7 is basically Vista SP2, being released as a new OS.

Old 05-26-09, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
There are probably plenty of companies and corporations that will upgrade to a new OS to keep everything compatible across the board, even though many of the desktops don't have 64 bit processors. I worked at HD and the older desktop PC's in the stores were nothing like the corporate units. They didn't need the latest and greatest to check pricing and type orders..but they had to be able to run compatible software.

Old 05-26-09, 11:49 AM
Never thought of that, Gunguy. Guess that kinda makes sense a bit, but still, perhaps companies would get things done quicker if they had quicker equipment? =P

Saying that, you'd probably have to upgrade all your PC's every three years just to stay up to date, and I seriously doubt most companies now will be doing that =/

Old 05-26-09, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Yep...some places (smaller I'd guess) want to stay on top of things....but just imagine buying 50-60,000 new PC's every 3 years like a bigger company would. And actually, the cost of the hardware isn't so bad, but they have to contract the installations, because they don't trust people to be able to swap cables.

Just like when I was in the Navy..some people had pretty good machines, because it really was required by their job, but most of us kept what we had until it died or wasn't compatible with the network stuff.

I remember many hours upgrading IBM and Zenith 286's (yeah, remember those) just so guys could have something other than a pen and paper to do their work.

Old 05-26-09, 01:21 PM
s/linux/freebsd/g (that is a Regex)

Originally Posted by Swalchy View Post

I'd rather install linux.
GNU/linux (linux - kernel, equivalent to win.exe probably)
GNU ( programs running alongside/under the kernel "binaries"
equivalent to zip.exe (etc) )
OTOH the free OS freebsd (.org) with its variants
pc-bsd, desktopbsd, freesbie (I have the latter on one machine)
can do most / more / almost as much
as can Linux (unix, etc)
freebsd: freely available, install-once upgrade-forever
like, every other year _7 to _8 or equivalent
one can research hardware to use at bsdstats (org)
Many prefer Freebsd to GNU/linux (once past the learning
curve) because of its "ports tree"
If I want a music player, for example, I'd check the
installable programs in
/usr/ports/audio and/or /usr/ports/multimedia
If I wanted DNA sequencing, I'd look in
/usr/ports/biology
and If I wanted korean, russian, etc programs I'd
look in
/usr/ports/russian
/usr/ports/korean
If I wanted to try firefox, firefox3, seamonkey, flock etc
I'd look in
/usr/ports/www...
Enough for now.
/edit/
in freebsd the "kernel " is "kernel", base programs
(edit, ls, rm etc) are "userland"
and "ports" is everything else. If one installs
linux-unix programs not-yet-in-the-ports-subdirectories
those would be "installed programs (not a port)"
The 5?percent trying the above, do not omit
/lookat/ /mmv/ /zsh/ which can make the
years-decades of bsd WAY easier if setup right..
OTOH one should give up time elsewhere to
keep up with port upgrades, etc. Caution advised
if one is short of time severely, one may want
Unix, Windows instead.
However if one wants to run a server, Freebsd can
be excellent (i'd be sure to buy the "freebsd as a server"
book (not its title) ) ... And I would have had a
rougher time configuring initially without the
book(s) "freebsd unleashed" "running linux" etc...

Last edited by jb_freebsd; 05-26-09 at 01:55 PM. Reason: forgot something; books;