real time scan

Old 04-03-09, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
real time scan

I am having trouble understanding how having a virus protection program that does not perform "real time scan" is able to protect the pc from preventing viruses or malware from getting onto the pc, or does it simply allow the viruses to get on there and then the user has to take action later to remove the viruses with program? I don't get it.
thanks

Old 04-03-09, 03:02 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Real Time scanning means the software is watching and waiting for something to try and install itself or take some action that the software feels is "virus-like". It would take action to stop it right then and there.

For example, you open a poisoned email and it installs a droploader virus. It then begins to download other programs from the internet without you knowing it, installing say... another 3 virus or worm type programs.

As soon as you open the email and your real-time protections sees it starting to install or something like that, it stop it.

The programs that do not do real-time would let the installation continue and the other programs to be downloaded, installed and run until you initiate a scan. Its job is to clean up after the fact. Some things install themselves and you would never know it, like when you visit CNN or another hijacked website. Yes, they have been hijacked before.

Edit: let me know if that makes enough sense or not.

Old 04-03-09, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
The programs that do not do real-time would let the installation continue and the other programs to be downloaded, installed and run until you initiate a scan. Its job is to clean up after the fact.
Edit: let me know if that makes enough sense or not.
Yes it makes sense. But wouldn't if often be too late, and the damage is already done by the time you might decide to initiate a scan?

Old 04-04-09, 07:12 AM
T
Yeah. Free stuff does a good job, but like they say... you get what you pay for.

Free will never be as complete as a pay for program (well, depends on the program, I guess) but pay programs are not perfect, either.

Overall, though, a paid program will usually stop more damage than any free one will. Consider what information and data you keep on your pc and you will have to decide which option is best for you. Hope that helps.

Old 04-04-09, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
I have to say tho, I use Avast and Spybot, both which are free, and they're doing a great job of keeping my computer safe. Everytime I access something or someone is trying to access my computer, they ask my permission first (even if I've requested it), and they both work constantly doing their job. Then as long as you keep your OS updated and close any popups using the red X, you should be OK.
Also, Avast checks my email and if I try to go to a website that's fishy, Avast lets me know.
There's other free programs that work well too, but that's JMO.

Old 04-04-09, 10:16 AM
That's also what I can't understand. How there are several popular free antivirus/antimalware programs available (like Avast, Alvira, AVG to mention a few), and which have the real-time scanning too, and which are highly rated by users and experts and testers, but yet people would still choose to pay for such programs like Norton, McAffee, or TrendMicro, etc. ? what's with that?

Old 04-04-09, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Well, maybe they just haven't tried the free or simply don't trust free. I used to think like that untill I started using the free. I guess people need to do what they feel is best.

Old 04-04-09, 10:28 AM
Overall, though, a paid program will usually stop more damage than any free one will.
From what I've been reading other places, there is consensus also that seems to indicate some of the free usually more reliable than some of those you pay for. If I could be sure a program would provide superior protection if I paid for it, I wouldn't mind paying for it, they don't really cost that much. But I don't want to pay for a program if its just a bunch of added bells and whistles I don't need, and especially if millions of people are using the free stuff and getting by just fine and even reporting better overall protection than the paid-for stuff.

Old 04-04-09, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Also depends on peoples knowlege level. Most (all?) free software has no tech support and no guarantees. Many folks buy the all in one protection they see advertised or recommended on TV or in a magazine. Or what comes on the PC when they buy it or from their service provider. Or what the guy/girl at BB/Staples/Office Max recommends when someone comes in asking questions.

Old 04-04-09, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Most (all?) free software has no tech support
Yes, having good tech support too could be a deciding factor, for me anyway. But then there's free tech support right here on this forum, probably often better than the tech support you could get by paying for it too. Personally I think might just opt for the free software, seems like it would be fine.

But I still can't quite understand how people can get by with the type of protection that doesn't do it in real-time? So the virus or whatever loads and runs and then you decide maybe you'll run a scan and catch it and destroy it? Seems like by then you'd be lucky if damage wasn't already done big-time.

Old 04-04-09, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, AVG has something called "resident shield" that checks files as they are copied, opened, or saved and alerts (at a minimum) or cleans the problem. Not sure if it covers downloaded files, but I never download from suspicious sites.

I just keep my OS updated, have AVG, Spybot S&D, AdAware installed and running as applicable, on both my old machine here in the garage, and my wife's good machine in the house and have never had a problem. Ok, never a problem when it's just us using the PC's.

We always get crapola when the nieces or nephews use it when they visit. Not virus's but all sorts of junk malware and such.

I would have to say, I'm quite happy with my protection...but even a belt and suspenders won't help if your pants are too tight and the crotch tears out..right? lol

Old 04-04-09, 02:27 PM
Gunguy if your free version of AVG does not protect you against the things on this list AVG Free - Download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for Windows XP and Vista that aren't checked, what do you use, if anything to protect you from those things? I am assuming for your firewall you would just be using the built-in windows firewall? Does your Spybot or Adaware protect you against phishing and stuff like rootkits? Or or you not worried about phishing and stuff like rootkits?

Old 04-04-09, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Phishing is protected by me being aware of what I'm doing..lol. Spam is purged by my E-mail program. I do have a hardware firewall and use Zone Alarm also (forgot that in my earlier post). I'm using XP on mine, but I think the wife's PC has the windows firewall.

Theres nothing wrong with most of the for pay programs...but some require you to pay again for updates after a year or so..and that just doesn't work for me. Also, I had issues with a few slowing my PC down a lot when all the protection was loaded. I think McAfee was one of the ones that was the worst..not sure.

Old 04-04-09, 03:42 PM
Phishing is protected by me being aware of what I'm doingl. Spam is purged by my E-mail program. I do have a hardware firewall and use Zone Alarm
I see. Okay, but what about protection against "rootkits"? Are you protected against "rootkits"?

Old 04-04-09, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez..if I spent my life worrying about everything..I'd never laugh or smile. No I don't worry about rootkits.

I worry more about the idiot merging into my lane w/o checking his mirror.

Old 04-04-09, 07:21 PM
T
Another thing that a paid for Anti_V may offer a free service is a more complete heuristic scan.

This allows the paid for programs to stop new viruses that have not yet been identified. Say.. the most recent "antivirus 2009 hoax virus" and things like that.

I have nothing against free programs and I use them myself, but on average they are all missing something that you would get if you bought one. You can also cover missing pieces by using multiple free antivirus programs, but not all of them get along.

Old 04-05-09, 12:37 PM
This software product as described here FREE antivirus software for Windows with anti-spyware protection: avast! Home Edition seems like it might be what I want and will probably get. Among all the other features, it does the following which have been discussed in this thread.

1) Does real-time scans
2) Is free
3) Anti-rootkit also built-in
4) Does heuristic scan
5) Offers tech support

Last edited by sgull; 04-05-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 12:46 PM
Jeez..if I spent my life worrying about everything..I'd never laugh or smile. No I don't worry about rootkits.
Hmm... See that frowning avatar shown there next to my username? That's actually a picture of me. Maybe I should lighten up too.

Old 04-05-09, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
lol...yep, everyone should relax. But not everyone is semi-retired at 50 with a good steady income and no long term bills.

Avast is supposed to be good..everyone who has tried it likes it better than anything else thats free.

Old 04-05-09, 01:43 PM
T
sgull, I reccomend you backup your protection of avast with Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes.org

It will not interfere with Avast and can scan for a few things avast can miss. Be advised that it does not update or scan on its own for the free edition. You will have to do that yourself once a week or so.

Oh, and if it wont update, change the update location on the bottom left of the main screen. The main server never seems to be available and always blames your firewall.

Old 04-05-09, 01:45 PM
everyone should relax. But not everyone is semi-retired at 50 with a good steady income and no long term bills.
Now I'm not so sure if I can relax. I'm 53, can't even think about the prospect of retiring, have a rather shaky income upon which I must rely, and a few long-term bills on top of that.
Looks like it's back to the frown again, and worrying about rootkits and stuff.
Oh well, was kinda fun while it lasted.

Old 04-05-09, 01:54 PM
sgull, I reccomend you backup your protection of avast with Malwarebytes
It's interesting and rather coincidental that you should give that recommendation, as not long ago I installed that specific program (the free version) on both my home pc's after doing a little research. I've been trying to remember to periodically keep it updated and doing scans with it, seems to work good. Glad to hear your recommendation, makes me feel a little better already
Thanks!

Old 04-05-09, 02:07 PM
T
Hey, its a good combo. Nothing wrong with free programs, I just don't want to give any false impressions about their limits. So long as you are aware of them you should be just fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: