Install Virus Laden HD into New Comp - to Copy

Old 05-01-09, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install Virus Laden HD into New Comp - to Copy

Hello, Have recently been hit by a Big Bad Bug, Wiped out all to where I couldn't even reinstall XP to the drive or a new drive I bought. Did end up buying a new comp.

Would like to install old drive and get a mass of data off of drives D:, E:,and F: The start up files were wiped out of C: .

This virus couldn't be caught, AVG would get the copies but it just kept playing hide and seek every 6 - 20 seconds. Also during the same time a super power surge fried a few condensers.

Can this be done safely , I have recovered most software etc from backups and original CD's.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Glenn.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-09, 11:26 PM
You had what's called a rootkit virus. Nasty critters.

Connect the old drive to the new computer as the slave. Boot into XP but don't even look at the files on the old drive. Run a complete virus scan on all of the drives in the entire computer.

If the scan shows nothing found on the old drive you may need to try other AV programs until that bug is found and killed.

Old 05-02-09, 12:01 AM
Thanks Rick, I'll attack this Sat afternoon. I do have several AVs , will run them as well. AVG, PCtools and 1 other ..

Will get back after the scans.

Glenn

Old 05-03-09, 07:18 PM
No luck yet, how does the system know that the old drive should be a slave and not the primary. My worry is that bug might migrate if it was.

just seen a posting to recover files using an enclosure. Would this be an option.

Glenn

Old 05-04-09, 02:09 AM
This drive is a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus9. I thought it might be jumper(s) but really hard to find any info. SATA cables.

G

Old 05-04-09, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by warburg View Post
No luck yet, how does the system know that the old drive should be a slave and not the primary. My worry is that bug might migrate if it was.

just seen a posting to recover files using an enclosure. Would this be an option.

Glenn
If your cables are all Sata, as you mentioned, then the CMOS or BIOS is what tells your computer what drive to boot from first. When the computer first turns on... within like 4-5 seconds, it will tell you to press a key like DEL or ESC or F1 or something in order to enter the BIOS.

Look for something called boot order. A lot of your drives may sound and look the same but sometimes they have some kind of brand name hidden in there.

Hope that answers your question.

Old 05-05-09, 08:19 PM
All Done

Just Good News, got the HD installed and managed to retrieve all my files. Did run 2 AVs and the bug had disappeared, don't know where to but I guess thats its thing.

Will do a low level format next.

Thanks guys.....Beer 4U2