No video on resume from standby

Old 05-13-09, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No video on resume from standby

Just upgraded a machine from Win2000 to XP Pro (SP3). Made no hardware changes. Used to put it in hibernate (Win2000 only does standby on laptops) and it resumed fine. With XP Pro, I come out of standby and have no video. Have to shut everthing down to get the video back. I have another box with same mobo, video card and drivers running XP Home and it comes out of standby just fine.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-09, 05:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
XP probably requires a different driver, which may or may not be available. You probably have a basic VGA driver loading now.

Personally, I don't like standby & hibernate. I always disable them.

Old 05-13-09, 07:35 PM
Not sure exactly what's causing this, but some ideas.

Check for any motherboard or video card BIOS updates. Check the manufacturer's websites.

Check for "chipset" and video card driver updates. Chipset refers to drivers for the actual chips on the motherboard that let XP properly talk to them.

If these updates don't help, then I'd disable the hibernate functions, as your system just doesn't support it.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-09, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
XP probably requires a different driver, which may or may not be available. You probably have a basic VGA driver loading now.
No, it is running the same ATI driver that my other machine runs which works fine.

Old 05-14-09, 11:45 PM

Amen...don't see the point to them myself. Just have the monitor shut off after 15 or 20 minutes. Come back in, touch the keyboard and go.

Old 05-15-09, 05:22 AM
Agreed. The hard drives can also be told to spin down after a certain time. The CPU will use less power while it's idling.

On my machine, I've found that coming out of hibernation takes nearly as long as a cold boot. The difference isn't worth it.

Old 05-16-09, 10:32 AM
It's an energy thing and a noise thing. My main PC is in the family room. It's fairly loud so when watching TV, I put it in standby. Also the computer is in actual use probably less than 25% of the time it's on so I'd rather use 7w for the 8 or 9 hours it's idle than 150w.

Old 05-16-09, 08:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If the PC is that loud, then one of the fans or the hard drive is on it's way out.

As far as I know, the monitor uses most of that 150w. I just shut the monitor.

Old 05-17-09, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
the computer is in actual use probably less than 25% of the time it's on so I'd rather use 7w for the 8 or 9 hours it's idle than 150w.
That means you're using it only 3 hours out of 12? What happens during the other 12 hours of every day? Do you shut it off?

The big transformer in the power supply is drawing more than 7 or 8 watts even when it's shut off. The monitor is also using power when it's sleeping. So is the printer. And the modem/router. Why not just shut it all off with the switch at the power strip?

The price you'll pay for turning it off is the time it takes to boot it back up -- usually less than three minutes.

These little trade-offs of convenience versus power consumption add up in a hurry. In any given house, consider the number of cell phone chargers, wireless phone chargers, night lights, TVs, computers, and other wall-wart power supplies that are plugged in to the wall 24/7, but are only used an hour or two per day. They all add up to hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of watts per month.

What about the porch light? There's 100 watts being wasted when a CFL could do the job for 13 watts.

Since about 6 months ago when I started to turn stuff off, my electric bill has dropped from just over $100 a month to around $60. And all I did was replace a few always-on lamps with CFLs and turn other stuff off or unplug it when it wasn't used.

BTW, a computer and its peripherals will pull around 300 watts when in use, not 150.

Old 05-17-09, 07:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The owner of a house I lived in had an engery expert from Honeywell evaluate the house once. He told her that if a computer is running 24/7 for an entire year, it would cost $167.00 for the year. That was based on NY prices which are higher than most of the country. IMO, it's negligible.

Old 05-18-09, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
That means you're using it only 3 hours out of 12?

BTW, a computer and its peripherals will pull around 300 watts when in use, not 150.
I've used a Kill-a-watt to check power draw and kwh. My LCD monitor draws 30w when on, 2w on standby. My PC system unit idles at 94w, pulls 110w at 100% CPU, and pulls 4w on standby. Yesterday, it was on 12-13 hrs and pulled a total of .54 kwh because I put it on standby when not in use. I like the convenience of checking the email or looking up something on the web without waiting 3 min for it to boot up.

Btw, I have CFLs in all my table/floor lamps and in my dusk-to-dawn post light. My monthly kwh use ranges from 500-900. I don't need a lecture on saving energy, thank you.

Old 05-18-09, 02:23 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Imacril, I have had the same problem. I have a computer that will sometimes not recognize the keyboard when either booting up or coming out of standby and it also will sometimes not have the video when coming out of standby. I solved the keyboard issue by switching to a USB keyboard but the video problem remains. I even did a complete wipe and reload of the OS (including all of the HP bloatware) and it didn't help.

Like you, I want to be able to leave my computer booted, yet in a low-power state during the day. The boot-up time is frustrating and the power consumption by just having the hard drive and monitor stop is unacceptable. Plus, it seems as if my monitor and drive do NOT stop regardless of the power setting time-out feature.

My monthly power consumption for ALL electricity is even less than yours so this IS a big deal for me.

Why should some computers work well with standby and others not work at all?