Comcast users

Old 05-19-09, 10:33 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Comcast users

Hello
I used to have a fast pc until just about the time Comcast[MD] installed its new email program called Smart Zone.
Now my online experience is slow and unstable.
I don't know if it is my MSIE 8 or Comcast.
I would hate to install Firefox and then have to uninstall it as it is not just a matter of add/remove.
If I could get a few responses re: the isp I would appreciate it.
They have cut both my tv and internet fee in half for one year so I suspect there is something wrong with the isp, BUT, if the isp is ok I would gladly switch to Firefox or some other browser.
Please do not encourage me to leave msie as I know its reputation as opposed to the other sleek browsers; I happen to like msie as the way it was running and feel if you keep it tuned up it is an ok browser. I am familiar with it and some of my sites require msie.
I know F.F. and msie can peacefully coexist on a machine but I first want to discern whether the problem is with the isp or the current browser.
Thank you

Old 05-19-09, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
peterr when did you switch to IE8? I downloaded the final release a few weeks (?) ago, for some of the same reasons as you, several sites require it.

It seems its not as fast, stable, or functional as the Beta release I had on my old (broken now) PC. I don't know whether its just a conflict of some sort on mine or not. I may switch back to IE7 if I can't figure out whats wrong.

Have you run any tests to check your connection speed yet? Such as speakeasy.net or speedtest.net. That may help determine if its your ISP or not.

You might want to give Google Chrome a try to see if things get faster. My wife loves it and its a very quick small download. When she first tried it, I'd say things were loading at least 2X faster than either FF or IE7. It's pretty stripped down, so may not be a first choice for some (it didn't display this site well for me).

And really, as long as you go with the basic install (no add-ons, toolbars, etc) of FF or Chrome, it really is pretty much a simple uninstall.

Old 05-19-09, 11:13 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
Hello

Now my online experience is slow and unstable.
I don't know if it is my MSIE 8 or Comcast.
They have cut both my tv and internet fee in half for one year so I suspect there is something wrong with the isp, BUT, if the isp is ok I would gladly switch to Firefox or some other browser.
I don't use IE but for one particular site that requires it so I can't comment on IE8 but the part about having your Comcast fee cut in half does send up flares. In my area Comcast is advertising Internet access for $24.95 BUT the fine print is stating it is at a speed of 1.5 M. If you had been using Comcast at a speed of 5 M (their "standard") or higher you would most definitely notice the difference in speed.

Comcast speed is also quite dependent upon who else in your connection area is using the Internet and what these others are doing at any particular time. When I had Comcast my speed was all over the place. When you do a speed check use a test that shows "Quality of Service" and you will quickly see what Comcast is NOT telling you about their speed. I use this test and then look at the graphs. With my Verizon FiOS connection my Q of S is always 97% or higher whereas with Comcast it was often so low as to not be measurable.

BTW, Firefox can be removed with a single click from the Programs add/delete page accessed in Control Panel.

Old 05-19-09, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh furd...very astute...I didn't get the 1/2 price connection. I'll bet you are right on target. They upgrade the system, people won't want to pay more, so they drop the price on all the "standard" customers and drop their speed as well.

They just upgraded out here from 3meg to 5meg...I'm on a bundle that expires in a few months...wonder what I'll find when its time.

Old 05-19-09, 12:01 PM
P
Speed

Helo
I'll try to answer all questions + observations in one reply.
I installed MSIE 8 four days ago and it is fine.
I noticed the drop in speed about 4 months ago with MSIE7. Prior to that it was great then coincidentally around the time Comcast installed their new email program called Smart Zone the speed drastically reduced.
It was only after I contacted Upper Management that they cut my bill.
Your test showed a download speed of 5.4 and an upload speed of 3.1
If you Google removal of Firefox you will find you need more than just add/remove to properly remove it.
SO, as of now I still don't know if the slowness is due to the ISP or the browser but as pieces roll in, it seems as though Comcast is the culprit.
Btw, the speed the test revealed and the way the cursor hesitates are not the same - the test is ok but the reaction of the cursor is too slow.
Any more solid ideas appreciated.

Old 05-19-09, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Well, if SmartZone can be prevented from loading when the computer reboots using msconfig..that might be a clue.

Old 05-20-09, 06:53 AM
P
SmartZone

Hello
I will look into SmartZone re: loading.
I think I will do the obvious and Google SmartZone or Smart Zone and see what comes up.
Thanx again

Old 05-20-09, 08:40 PM
nap
hows this for Comcast:

CNET.com - Internet Services - BandWidthMeter Results Page

actually, for some reason, this particular forum is very slow to load on my computer. More slow than any other regular website I visit.

Old 05-21-09, 03:25 PM
P
Comcast

Hello
Are you implying that C-cast is fast and some comments are tongue in cheek or are you demonstarting that Comcast is slow and commenting about that facet.
I do not mean to be either aloof or mindless; please enlighten me.
Thank you

Old 05-21-09, 05:54 PM
nap
well, if you went to that site, you will see that I tested at 123Mb download. Pretty fast, huh.

It was kind of an off the wall, tongue in cheek post more than anything. Do you really think I got 123 Mb? I noticed when I re-ran the test, it got faster each time. I was merely flaunting the extremely high speed comcast was providing me with compared to your 5.4 Mb

try a few different sites. Here are a few that I use:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Speakeasy - Speed Test

CNET Bandwidth Meter: Online Speed Test - CNET Reviews

Internet Performance and Speed Test

Speed Test on ZDNet Australia

your results will vary at different times of the day and the number of users on the same node as you.

also, have you cleaned your disk lately? do you have a lot of programs or processes running that you do not need>

run a virus protection....oh, wait; what virus protection are you running? Some cause a real slowdown while others not so much.

also, is your comcast loaded all the time? if not, the mail program should not be causing you any problems all the time.

Old 05-21-09, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gotta love Cox.

Old 05-21-09, 06:50 PM
nap
[IMG][/IMG]

touche`

Old 05-22-09, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Woo hoo got ya all beat!!

Wait...this IS like golf right? Low score wins? lol

Old 05-22-09, 02:44 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

Wait...this IS like golf right? Low score wins? lol
actually that is not all that bad really. If you realize that the old golden standard of a T1 line is only rated at 1.5 Mb, and DSL is often around that speed as well, 5 Mb is not bad.

I had to hunt around to find a server/test that ran this speed. There were some nearly what yours was and many right around what HOKC tested at. Each server is going to be different and when using broadband, how many users on the same node will make a great deal of difference. The wee hours of the morn are usually the best time to check for a speed test with a not loaded up line.

Old 05-22-09, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
nap..yeah I know..I was one of the first to get Cox back in my area in VA..wow..1M down and 250 up at first. Then they went to 3M up.....I had moved from 56K dialup..so it was amazing.

Actually..they just upgraded in my small town out in the middle of nowhere. I used to get maybe 1.7 up and 4 down....small provider..I'm happy I get that.

Anyway..I think this thread has been hijacked enough...

peterr...any resolution to your problem yet?

Old 05-24-09, 01:44 PM
P
Comcast

Hi Gun Guy45
I told you I am always asking and you are always answering different forums.
Below is the program I used and the link I clicked on to get my download and upload speeds.

Windows user's group network [WUGNET]

WUGNET - Speed Test
download speed = 5.99 mbps and upload spedd = 2.89 mbps

I was really getting confused because there are different terms used to measure speed and it became like the "peanut 'n the shell" game.

I simply needed apples to apples to make a valid comparison.

I only wanted to know if I was getting what I was paying for and if it was a reasonable price to pay for the speed I was getting.
Proir to Comcast adjusting my rate because they are 'nice guys' I paid roughly $110.00 a month for TV and their high speed internet.(We do not have Fios available in the near or distant future).

Since I spoke with them I now pay roughly $33.00 a month. I cannot state for sure if the apparent(to us) drop in power was associated with any particular one thing.
We have it in our heads that their open source email program called Smart Zone is the culprit as it has functioned poorly since day one. The reviews are horrible but this email program cannot be detached for Comcast.
My wife's business cards and clientelle have Comcast as the contact.
Changing could be a possibility and use Hotmail where we have accounts but there will be a lot of work to do to rid ourselves of Smart Zone and begin with Hotmail.
Hope I have been comprehensive enough for you to provide info such as speed for the $ etc.
Thanx again

Old 05-24-09, 06:37 PM
nap
just to let you know peterr, I just tested my speed on that site and came up right about where you were. I then went to the sites I listed. The first 2 or 3 hit 20-23 Mbps. I had one (cnet) that tested at 1.2Mbps.

part of the problem with any speed test is there are a lot of variables. Honestly, what you are paying for what you are getting is pretty good.

Have you asked comcast what you are supposed to be getting? I know they are very good about being noncommittal so I doubt they will give you a hard number but maybe they will tell you the different levels of service available and which one you are buying.

as long as you get at least the level you are supposed to, not much you can argue with them.

you also need to make sure there are not unneeded programs running in the background. Many of them do take up bandwidth.

Old 05-26-09, 12:47 PM
P
speed

Hi nap
You wrote;
>>you also need to make sure there are no unneeded programs running in the background

I right clicked in the white space on the bottom and selected task manager - it showed that only hotmail and doityourself were running.

Is that what you mean??

Old 05-26-09, 07:27 PM
nap
if you go to the same thing only goto processes instead of applications (I know I said apps). There will generally be a multitude of processes running at any given time. When I do mine, I often see things I really do not want running. You can "end process" from that point but if something kicks that process back on, it's on. You often have to go and hunt down that process and alter its settings so it does not run unless you want it to run.

I am currently using Google Chrome for my browser but I just realized the explorer is running in the background. Most likely due to what is on my start up setting so I will have to go and kill explorer so it does not run unless I start it.

That often helps with the speed thing.

One other thing that is very important is to run a spyware program and a virus program. Both of those will cause slower readings because they are actively doing things a lot of the time if you have a spyware problem or a virus.

Old 05-26-09, 08:37 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Remember that Explorer is not the same as Internet Explorer. I think that Explorer is an integral part of the Windows Operating System and must be running at all times. (I could be wrong.)

Peter, another way to see the same page that Nap is referring to is to simply do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete (all three keys at the same time) and then look at the Processes tab. Right now I have 32 processes running in the background. Before I did a bit of "pruning" I would have 42 processes running. I could probably prune even more of them if I tried. There are several posts here and much available via the Internet on deciphering what processes you do need running at start up.

Old 05-26-09, 09:53 PM
nap
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Remember that Explorer is not the same as Internet Explorer. I think that Explorer is an integral part of the Windows Operating System and must be running at all times. (I could be wrong.)

Peter, another way to see the same page that Nap is referring to is to simply do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete (all three keys at the same time) and then look at the Processes tab. Right now I have 32 processes running in the background. Before I did a bit of "pruning" I would have 42 processes running. I could probably prune even more of them if I tried. There are several posts here and much available via the Internet on deciphering what processes you do need running at start up.
yes, you are correct Furd and I should have made that clear. explorer (sans the internet) is the program that puts the icons on your screen. Not sure what else it does but that is one thing I learned while playing around

I had articles from IE running that I wanted to shut down.

Sorry about that.

If you shut down explorer (sans the "internet") you can do the control alt delete and go to the

"file" the type in explorer and it will open it back up or you can simply restart the computer from the same screen where it says "shutdown" and explorer will be running again.

Old 05-27-09, 08:58 AM
P
msconfig

Hello
I have 2 items under applications and about 25 under processes.
Both are in the task manager.
Are these the same as the entries under msconfig, selective start up, start up. I have unticked many of these that I do not want to run at start up.

Old 05-11-10, 06:37 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I got here using a searcher, i been having problems with my wifi for several days and its getting worst every day. I think everytime i do internet speed test my speed decreases. may it be possible? i tried opening some ports as a friend told me, can somebody help me?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-11-10 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Spammer. Link removed.
Old 05-11-10, 07:02 AM
P
speed

Originally Posted by carmin View Post
I got here using a searcher, i been having problems with my wifi for several days and its getting worst every day. I think everytime i do internet speed test my speed decreases. may it be possible? i tried opening some ports as a friend told me, can somebody help me?
>>Be careful with ports as you may get a virus or a hacker could gain control of your pc.
You need to set your router or wifi safely so ask a friend or read directions(online manual of the router or pc you have), or call the company -this may cost if your warranty is out of date..
Second, you need to have an anti virus program and a firewall.
Thirdly you need a spyware program. These are free or you can buy them.
I hope someone with bettr knowledge of wifi can jump in here and help you out as I told you all I know.
Good luck.

Old 05-11-10, 08:03 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Comcast[MD] installed its new email program called Smart Zone.
Number one rule is never install something you don't really need and rule two never ever install software provided by an ISP. Try uninstalling it and see if your speed improves.

Old 05-11-10, 10:54 AM
M
Smartzone

from what i can tell it a combo of both

FF can do IE rendered pages with the view in IE tab plug in,

but that aside as I understand , SmartZone is slow due to the other stuff it installs, like advert programs, i would think those would show up in a scan, at least in FF you can block them with the Adblock plug in and no Script add in,

they have also changed their pop server to sz-pop.mail.comcast.net ( should you want to go the email client route instead of a web based email )

you can still logon in the old way

https://login.comcast.net/login?s=wnamp&ts=84eb99a5

and you can check the forums at comcast

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

you may want to consider going to gmail and retrieving the comcast email that route

try updating your java
and clearing out the IE cache

they do make a Smartzone Lite that removes some of the bloat Smartzone loads

but I am with ray2047, i never use any software provided from any ISP, it always bloated, sometimes has advertising hooks into your system, and is usually buggy.

good luck on solving your problems

Old 05-11-10, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Just for info...the original post was 1 yr ago...the latest post that restarted the thread was most likely a spammer.

Old 05-11-10, 12:50 PM
P
spammer

I did not know I was trying to help a spammer.
All the material from a year ago has long since been resolved.
No need to continue the thread,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: