anti spyware

Old 05-30-09, 08:06 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
anti spyware

Hello
Is there a free, safe effective anti spyware program?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-09, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I use Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Spyware Blaster

Old 05-30-09, 10:00 AM
nap
so, how goes the speed thing peterr? any gains?

Old 05-30-09, 01:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another SpyBot fan here, I also use Ad-aware.

Old 05-31-09, 04:15 AM
S
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for me

And AVG Anti-Virus also comes with its own in-built Anti-Spyware scanner

Old 05-31-09, 07:56 AM
M
Like Swalchy, I also use AVG. I actually have a three pronged approach, anti-spyware (Spybot and Ad-aware), anti-virus (AVG) and a firewall (Zone alarm). Zone Alarm won't let anything onto the internet that I don't give permission to. For example, lets say a bug gets onto your machine and it wants to "phone home," Zone Alarm will say, "XYZ program is asking for permission to access the internet." If you don't know the program, tell it no, if you do (like Firefox) give it permanent permission.

Old 05-31-09, 12:33 PM
P
malware programs

Thank you all for your contributions and Nap, speed is as was before.
I am getting the idea that there are so many reasons for speed to vary.
Some of them are fixable and some not.
One instance is security. I use Mcafee Security Center because it is free for Comcast users.
It does , however get into the registry.
I'd prefer to be slower and more secure than the other way around.
A hardware firewall also slows things down.
Then there is the general complaint about ISP's loike Comcast.
What the heck, I'm slowing down too!

Old 05-31-09, 02:58 PM
nap
there is your problem.

Mcafee slows things down so much. That is one reason I do not use it at all. Try killing that and trying AVG. I think you will notice a huge improvement.

if nothing else, just to check to see it that is making things drag.

Old 06-01-09, 09:36 AM
P
speed

When I have time, I will try AVG w/o mcafee a see.
Others have said the same thing.
Be back.

Old 06-10-09, 11:30 AM
Superantispyware is also good.

BTW there are a lot of similarly-named "Spybots" You want the one from Safer-Networking.

Old 06-10-09, 12:09 PM
P
malware programs

Hello again
I read about AVG before installing it + did not like the fact that it could not be thoughly uninstalled like Mcafee can with a tool. Other than that it seemed to read quite well.
To uninstall Mcafee you run the uninstall tool you get from the Mcafee site.
Now, not being a tech, I don't know if it is important to remove more than 'add/remove' does but I read that some leftover registry items could come in conflict with other programs.
I would like to know more because I would like a faster pc.
I used to use Spybot S+D for Safer networking but found it became a bit complicated.
Please let me know about the Mvafee vs. AVG issue if you have time?
Thank you

Old 06-10-09, 01:39 PM
nap
well ,that is above me so not much help.

If nothing else, just shut down mcaffee for a bit and see how things are. If they speed up a lot, you either learn to live with the slow or look for another antiviral.

Old 06-10-09, 02:08 PM
S
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
Hello again
I read about AVG before installing it + did not like the fact that it could not be thoughly uninstalled like Mcafee can with a tool. Other than that it seemed to read quite well.
To uninstall Mcafee you run the uninstall tool you get from the Mcafee site.
Now, not being a tech, I don't know if it is important to remove more than 'add/remove' does but I read that some leftover registry items could come in conflict with other programs.
I would like to know more because I would like a faster pc.
After installing AVG, why would you want to remove it?

AVG doesn't slow down your PC at all, as long as you don't set it to do daily scans (which you don't need it to).

And you can just use a registry cleaner if you do decide to remove it, although again, I don't see why'd you want to remove it.

What Anti-Virus would you have in it's place?

Old 06-10-09, 06:46 PM
R
I have used both AVG and AVAST free additions. AVG sometimes doesn't update automatically, where as AVAST always gets updated. Both have anit-spyware built in and both do not take up much resources.

If your interested in checking out AVAST, click on the link below.

FREE antivirus software with spyware protection: avast! Home Edition

Old 06-11-09, 09:50 AM
P
Malware programs

Hi all
When I mentioned uninstalling a program I meant you should always be able to uninstall for a variety of reasons, difficulty with the program being one of them.
Just as I spoke about AVG not having an uninstaller, I found that it does -Google and you will find it. So, if you choose the program and there is ever an issue with it or you wish to change it you can use the uninstaller so there are no residual items left in the registry.
Secondly, AVG free does not have all the protection Mcafee offers such as hacker + real time protection, to name a couple. The paid version does.
I am not really a Mcafee fan as I know it puts too much into the registry and slows it down but am not techy so I need a comprehensive program to do the secure work for me.
If I did not get Mcafee for rfee I would then consider a paid program; you can find a list of the best programs if you do a search. kaspersky comes to mind.
Lastly, I'm curious to know how much less you get with Avast free as opposed to the paid version besides automatic updating.
It would be a good project to Google and or write to the company.
The deeper I dug the clearer the issues became and I was glad I investigated.
Any other comments welcome and thank you for the help.

Old 06-14-09, 11:32 AM
Try CCleaner it will clean out what is left on you computer after the uninstall. g

Old 06-14-09, 12:27 PM
P
registry cleaners

Hello
There are two opinions regarding the use of registry cleaners; one is use and the other, never use.
I am in the second group.
Most Geeks or experts will tell you that unless you can maneuver the registry as a pro, you should not elect to use the registry cleaner.
Granted there are some options that ccleaner provides that are useful, registry cleaning is not one of them, in my book.
I had an irreversible bad experience with two different ones(ccleaner being one), and if you chat up "registry cleaners" in good forums like this one, Major Geeks, or What the Tech, you will find a host of people who had tragic consequences following the use of a reg cleaner.
I like to use an antivirus program that has its own uninstaller so all registry entries can be removed if you have a problem or wish to remove the program.
Google your a/v program to see if it has its own uninstaller.
This is just my opinion; if you are a pro you can select various free programs for a/v, malware, key loggers, and put together a comprehensive package but if you are an average user like myself I feel it is worth the cost and "weight' on the pc to have the work done in a somewhat satisfactory manner.
Thank you for writing and I always look forward to being corrected. By the way, if you list all the services you want provided for you so your machine runs well, you will find it quite extensive. To me that is a good way to look for a reliable program.
I'm sure, on the other hand, that many, many users have run free programs w/o and pproblems and I wish them well.
Social security pensions don't leave much room for being fussy but this is a pretty important area.
Stay well.

Old 06-14-09, 06:18 PM
I have Ccleaner on 4 computers at my home and have had no issues when using the registry clean up, however, I do agree the free "registry" cleaners do prove to screw things up. I did have to do a re format on one of my laptops, it was only an ...all day ordeal.

Old 06-14-09, 06:50 PM
nap
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
Hi all
I get auto updating and I have real time protection against viruses. (AVG free version) I have had a window pop up telling me a virus was detected.Don't know about the hacker situation. If I have ever been hacked, they were real gentle cuz I never felt it.

Old 06-15-09, 07:02 AM
P
programs for malware

You know, Nap, some of the 'ouches' I have gotten with a pc are worse than the ones in the doctors office.
I have been the format reinstall route twice and once was after a registry clean with ccleaner. It made me a bit gun shy.
Anyway, I hope all our choices keep us typing happily ever after.

Old 06-15-09, 01:33 PM
S
The only registry cleaner I've never had a problem with is PC-Tools Registry Mechanic.

But that's not a free product, must be said.

Old 06-15-09, 01:34 PM
nap
I kind of live by the thought that if I have anything really serious to save, I will back it up on a separate drive or CD or DVD. If I get attacked, wipe it out and start over.

I understand your caution though and we all do what we feel comfortable with.

I will say though that a reg cleaner is something I have not used and are quite leery of using one.