Reposition Router

Old 06-15-09, 11:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reposition Router

I have Cox as my ISP and asked them to do what I describe below and thy told me they could not do it.

I have my desk top computer, modem and router in a room at one end of my house. The router signal at the other end of the house is very weak. Since the Cox coaxial cable run through my basement I would like to place the router in the middle basement so that I can use my laptop any place in the house. There is a connector on the Cox cable in the basement so that I can access the cable. How can I place the router in the basement.

Is there such a thing as a router repeater that I can place in the basement to boost the signal?

Thanks,
Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-09, 01:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you need is a Wireless Repeater/Wireless Ranger Extender box - Wireless Range Extender | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

And you can usually find a Range booster Ariel for your wireless router.

You could even get what's known as a Home Plug - It basically turns the electric wiring of your house into a wired network! Because we were having so much trouble with wireless in our house, we bought 4 of these (3 PC's and one to plug into the router - minimum of two needed), and we haven't looked back!

Products and Technology - HomePlug Powerline Alliance

Edit: Forgot that you were wanting this for a Laptop. HomePlugs are still usable, just not outside :P

Old 06-15-09, 09:08 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The easiest way to do this is to add a splitter in the basement. The input comes from the main cable. One output connects to the existing house cable system and the other output runs through a short jumper to the modem.

If you have any wired computers on the router you'll have to extend those ethernet cables to the router too.