Can I retrieve a Word document that was saved as temp internet file?

Old 08-02-09, 10:13 PM
Can I retrieve a Word document that was saved as temp internet file?

My wife was working on project. Had a file emailed to her. She opened it as attachement. She worked on it and then saved it. She didn't "Save As", which would then ask you where you want to save it. She did "Save", so I guess it got saved as temporary internet file? then she closed word. now she can't find the file. we found temporary internet file folder, but don't seem to see it there. can anyone help-and quickly as she needs the document for tomorrow.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-09, 04:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may be able to retrieve it by clicking Start, Search, and enter the first 4 or 5 words of the document. Have you checked My Documents for an oddly named Word document?

Old 08-03-09, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
In Windows Mail or Outlook there is a Store Folder.

In Windows Mail: Tools>Options>Maintenance>Advanced>Store Folder
In Outlook: Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store Folder

Old 08-03-09, 07:13 AM
no strange named file in My Documents

her email is windows live hotmail. not sure if that is what you meant when you said windows mail? I can't seem to find any store folder? If I have brower open I go "tool", "internet options", "advanced", but after that there is just a list with check boxes. nothing about a store folder.

Old 08-03-09, 10:52 AM
OK here is what I did now. On another computer just to see what I could find, I opened up outlook express. then "tools", "options", "maintenance" and there I found the store folder location. I copied that location and pasted into the "run" screen and was able to get to that folder. there are a bunch of ".dbx" files located there. can not open them. so I guess I am on right track but couple of questions:

my wife was NOT using outlook or outlook express, so will that make a difference? if I get to the location where all these files are located, what do I do with them? how do I open them to try to find the Word document that she saved?

Old 08-03-09, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Just a thought..and I may not be clear on what happened..but anyway..

If the file was sent as an attachment..and she opened it and worked on it..it should have opened with whatever program was needed to edit it...such as Word. I don't think you can open an attached Word document with an E-mail program.

What I was thinking was just open the program used to do the editing and look at recent files..it should be right there...

Again..I may not have some detail clear...

Old 08-03-09, 11:07 AM
that was what I thought gunguy, but that didn't work. It does not appear in Word under recent files. we went to her default save location, which is "My Documents" and it isn't there. I simulated this on another computer. I sent myself a word file to my email-also a hotmail account like hers. opened it and changed something and then hit "Save" in Word. Same thing as with her, I can not find that changed file. not in Word, doesn't appear to be in "Temporary Internet Files". Where is it being saved to? working on the Store Folder mentioned by other, but not sure if that is going to work.

Old 08-03-09, 11:17 AM
Try going through the process again with Save As and see where the file tries to be saved to (don't actually save it or you will probably overwrite it)

Old 08-03-09, 11:36 AM
a new file that you create and try to "Save As" will open up a dialog box and let you save wherever you want, but by default will be your "My Documents". I think you can change this default location, but we have never touched that. Now if you open an existing document that is stored in different location, when You try to "Save As", the default location in dialog box will be the same location as the original document. I think "Save" has the same defaults, but you don't have option of changing the location in a dialog box when you try to save. So, since the document in question was opened from an internet attachment and it was "Save"ed, where would it go?? If she had "Save As", she could have said save in "My Documents" in the dialog box. But she didn't, she hit "Save"

Old 08-03-09, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
And you can't find it using the search function..specifying the date, approx size, etc? You can even search for specific text within the document.

Although at this point it may be moot. Can she reopen the attachment and re-do the work?

Old 08-03-09, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
It wouldn't be saved as a temporary internet file.
I just tested this by sending a Word doc to my hotmail address and it was saved to my "downloads" folder by default. See if she has this folder also.

Old 08-03-09, 04:45 PM
I don't know if XP has "My downloads". but on my vista computer, it does not save to my downloads when I try to "Save" a word file that was opened as attachment in hotmail. I can not find it anywhere. on word 2007 (which is not actually what my wife was using, I think she has 2003) I read on help and it talks about autorecover. so I tried users,myaccountname,appdata (was hidden folder),roaming, microsoft,word-but when I got there, there are not any word files. just empty folder named "startup" and also file named ListGal.dat

occasionally when I try to "save" file it will say that there is problem with file permission and asks if I want to retry the save. If I say yes, it actually opens a "Save As" box which has "My Documents" as default and it will save it there. but if this box doesn't come up when you hit "Save" nothing else comes up and then the file appears to be lost.

Old 08-04-09, 11:30 AM
Thought of something else: If you open a file in Word, then go to File>Properties, it tells you the location of the file on the General tab.