startup entries

Old 08-06-09, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
startup entries

Hello
Could a capable person please look at my startup items and tell me only the ones to safely disable?
1-CanonMyPrinter
2-CanonSolutionsMenu
3-HPSoftwareUpdate
4-HPDJ Task bar Utility......system 32\spool\drivers\w32x
5-mcagent_exe
6-NvCplDaemon ............ Rundll
7-nwiz
8-OpwareSE4.....................Canon ocr
9-Quick Time Task
10-SSBkgdUpdateSched
11-Windows Defender
12-WrtMon.exe.....................system 32\spool\drivers\w32x

I appreciate your taking the time, thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-09, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
Hello
Could a capable person please look at my startup items and tell me only the ones to safely disable?
X - 1-CanonMyPrinter
X - 2-CanonSolutionsMenu
X - 3-HPSoftwareUpdate
X -4-HPDJ Task bar Utility......system 32\spool\drivers\w32x
X - 5-mcagent_exe
? - 6-NvCplDaemon ............ Rundll
? - 7-nwiz
X - 8-OpwareSE4.....................Canon ocr
D - 9-Quick Time Task
? - 10-SSBkgdUpdateSched
X - 11-Windows Defender
? - 12-WrtMon.exe.....................system 32\spool\drivers\w32x

I appreciate your taking the time, thank you
In my opinion, the "X" would be the ones to keep.
The "D" would be items that you don't need. Quick time task will go in to the startup registry every time you run that application.
The "?" means that I am not sure about it.
Some of the printer ones may not need to be running in the background.
What you can do is run "msconfig". From there you will notice a startup tab. Select that, and it will show you the items that run in the background when you start your computer. You can uncheck any or all as a test to see what you need or not. This is a safe way before deleting the registry startup items. Disabling any of them will give you a warning notice next time you start up your computer.

Hope this helps you out..

:Rbwest

Old 08-06-09, 03:11 PM
Startup items

Hi Rb
You should never use msconfig as a way to disable or enable startup items as you could do serious damage.
Look at the 'Major Geeks' or 'What the Tech' Frums about that topic. Google the names to find them.
These are professional software engineers who recommend the free use of third party statup managers like Starup CPL which you will find in your control panel after downloading. 'Ccleaner' has a startup manager in it but(never use a registry cleaner). WinPatrol has one along with other features. Startup CPL is the most lightweight.
Even Windows Defender has one under the sofware section.
Using these you can safely disable and enable startup items but the system cofiguration utility where you get to using msconfig, will still be in "normal" starup not selective.
Which ones to disable is the question as some should not be touched while others use ram and slow you down.
Try those forums, as all you have to do is register like here then jump in.
Good luck to you and please no msconfig.
I hope someone else wants to take a look at my startups and offer advice.

Old 08-06-09, 06:15 PM
I was just suggesting for testing purposes to use MSCONFIG. I have used it many times to debug, and have had no issues. It is a safeguard to debug if you know what you are doing. Once you have found what questionable entries that you do not need, then you can enable all, and go in to the registry to remove those items.

For those who don't know what they're doing, then they shouldn't be editting the registry or playing with MSCONFIG as like you said, it could be dangerous.

:rbwest

Old 08-06-09, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
The "NvCplDaemon ............ Rundll" is your Nvidia graphic card control panel. You can disable it or not. If you want easy access to it (i.e. if you like to change your resolution quickly) you can leave it be. If you never use it, you can disable it.
The "Nwiz" is your Nvidia wizard. You can disable that.
Don't know what the other two are either.
I agree with rbwest about the other ones.

As for Msconfig, I use it all the time and I also edit my Registry, but I know what I'm doing when I use them. When tech forums tell people not to use it, it's because a lot of people don't know what they're doing, and they're talking to them.

Old 08-07-09, 05:40 AM
startups

Hello again
My reply to rb west was a bit out of fear for him.
I don't know who has skills and who does not.
I am one who needs help and only ape what the skilled people tell me(after a consensus).
I did not want to see him have the troubles I was told he could IF he was not capable.
I apologize but I meant well.
Thank you both for your suggestions which I will ad to my list.
Sometimes I wonder if it is worth disabling at all as there are so few to do.
I was told that if something was disabled and I need it, printer for example, it would still work. However, there are some items like the mose or monitor that would be problematic and some evn not allow me to boot up.
Do you think Googling enties is a safe way to determine what can be disabled at startup.
Any tidbits would be appreciated.
Thank you

Old 08-07-09, 04:25 PM
google will help you tell you what is safe to turn off
another area to turn off is selective services area inside the control panel ( control panel,-- administrative tools - services )

msconfig is safe to use.. i use it all the time to tweak systems
as is registry ( again you may not have full functionality of certain parts of the OS if other programs depend on that services )

but by default Windows makes it tough to shut out programs it really need to boot up. but it can be done.

most computers by default have too much bloat ware and a lot of it is monitoring utilities, updaters and so on. I tend to run my machines stripped with bare drivers only and no update or monitoring utilities or other selective run of boot programs, in the services area i set as much as possible to manual or disabled rather than to auto

Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations by Black Viper

a good place to see what you want and don't want services wise on your computer

Old 08-08-09, 06:29 AM
msconfig

Hello
Administrative tools>services seems to be services.msc I think and that is good.
In the system configuration utility do you have your startup as normal or as selective?
It was so easy to choose selective and untick the startup items; I did it for so long. Then I heard it was dangerous so I got involved with startup managers and left all in normal mode.
I notice Black Viper says to not use msconfig to disable services but to use services.msc as you say.
I am confused as to whether you can disable starup items in services.msc which will work when you open them still.
In other words, will services.msc do the same job as a third party startup manager?
Thank you