Apples to windows

Old 08-07-09, 04:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Apples to windows

My daughters Mac notebook was ruined by a renegade bottle of grape soda. We had the hard drive removed and installed in an external enclosure. My question is is there anyway to access the information on the hard drive with a windows based computer
thank you

Old 08-08-09, 12:39 PM
R
Originally Posted by bmcguane
My daughters Mac notebook was ruined by a renegade bottle of grape soda. We had the hard drive removed and installed in an external enclosure. My question is is there anyway to access the information on the hard drive with a windows based computer
thank you
Because the file system is "Journaled HFS+", you may be able to read it via a linux OS on a PC. Windows OS uses Fat32 and/or NTFS.

If you have another Mac, or know of someone who does, then you can connect that drive to that mac, and network the PC and Mac together to file share.

If you plan on getting another Mac, you can boot up from that external drive by connecting it's external source (USB, Firewire, eSATA) to the Mac, and upon powering it up, hold down the option key. You will then get a selection which you want to boot up from. Select the external drive, and away you go. You can do everything from that external drive as if it was connected internally.

I have bought an external drive just to clone the internal drive (good to have a backup). One program to do clone the drive is called "Carbon Copy Cloner". It is free on the internet, and works well. Again, after the clone, you can boot from that drive.

Good luck,

:rbwest

Old 08-19-09, 08:04 AM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
rbwest pretty much nailed it, however, I just discovered there is an HFS+ viewer available for Windows:

Catacombae - HFSExplorer

This would give you read-only capabilities to the drive. I haven't tested it yet, let us know if it works.

Old 09-15-09, 05:44 PM
B
Yes! It worked very well, thank you very much, I owe you a bottle of grape soda!

Old 09-15-09, 06:32 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Next time you're in Edmonton, I'll take you up on that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: