one modem 2 pcs

Old 08-12-09, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
one modem 2 pcs

Hello
I will use the Comcast cable connection while visiting my friend out of state to get my laptop online.
Instead of using her cable directly out of her modem I was thinking of using my router for more security.
If I run an ethernet cable from their modem to my router and we each use a port, their(probably) infected pc is on the friendly side.
Could I get an ethernet splitter so I could put my ethernet cable into it to my modem and a cable from my modem to my laptop? This way we could do our own thing(I don't think at the same time) and they would not be on the friendly side of the router.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-09, 12:59 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
You would have to use your modem in conjunction with a coaxial cable (normal TV) splitter and connect before the modem. In essence you would have the coaxial cable split to the two modems which would then be independent of each other.

However, unless your friend is on the same "cable loop" (i.e. the same neighborhood system) it is possible that the neighborhood cable system will not recognize the MAC number of your modem.

As long as neither PC is set up for file sharing the chances of your laptop being infected by some problem on the other PC is nil (or almost nil) even with a shared Ethernet connection.

Old 08-13-09, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most cable companies offer two dynamic IP's. Using one modem, connect it to a switch, then from the switch connect one line to a router or a computer, and connect the other line from the switch to either another router or directly to the computer. See the diagram below.

Cable Modem
:
:
Switch Box
: :------------:
: :
Computer 1 Computer 2

Old 08-13-09, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by rbwest View Post
Most cable companies offer two dynamic IP's. Using one modem, connect it to a switch, then from the switch connect one line to a router or a computer, and connect the other line from the switch to either another router or directly to the computer. See the diagram below.

Cable Modem
:
:
Switch Box
: :------------:
: :
Computer 1 Computer 2
>>Are you saying to use an ethernet splitter to run a line to my router and another to her pc?
I am not familiar with the term 'switch'.

Old 08-13-09, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Something like this is what he means peterr...Newegg.com - LINKSYS EZXS88W 10/100Mbps Switch 8 x 10/100 RJ-45 Port
1 x Shared RJ-45 Uplink Port - Switches

But what you said in your first post should work fine. Most routers have 4 or more ethernet output ports and one input from the modem. What you want to do is have 2 pc's sharing a modem data output.
So all you would need is 2 additional ethernet cables and your router.
I'm really not sure what the difference between a router and a switch is...

One thing you said in the first post WAS confusing. An ethernet cable IN to a modem? Ethernet comes out of a modem..not in. The modem will have a phone or cable connection for the input.

Old 08-13-09, 11:22 AM
2 pcs

Hi again
I have an 'ethernet' port in the back of my modem and a yellow cable runs to a port called 'internet' in my router. From my router a blue cable goes from LAN 1 to a large, phone plug type plug in, I assume this is the ethernet plug in my pc.
I was going to put an ethernet splitter in her modem and run one cable to my router>to my pc(like I have here) and the other cable to her pc(ethernet).
We are now not involved with each other. I think most isps give two ip addresses and as long as we are not using the pc at the same time it may work?
What do you think?
>>One thing you said in the first post WAS confusing. An ethernet cable IN to a modem? Ethernet comes out of a modem..not in. The modem will have a phone or cable connection for the input.
Sorry about the way I phrased which way things were going and I hope the description above is clearer.

Old 08-13-09, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think there is such a thing as an ethernet splitter (like a coax cable splitter)...thats pretty much the function of a switch/router. The data in has to be directed to the PC that requested it.

Just take the output of her modem..connect to the "internet" input on your router..then lan1 to one PC and lan2 to the other...thats it.

You won't be sharing any files (unless your current system is set that way...easy to turn off)...just an internet connection. This is exactly how I have ours set up here. If you might need to print something..just use a thumbdrive.

Old 08-13-09, 11:43 AM
2 pcs

I was mislead by Googling ethernet splitters and reading about them. They are about 7$ and seem to read ok. but I am not skilled enough to know.
I do understand how to have both plugged into the router but she has a horribly unmaintained pc.
We see her once a year and she does not know the first thing about firewals,a/v programs tc.
I was only using her for the internet.
It is risky being on the same side with her infected pc.
If you are sure about the ethernet splitters, I will ask her if I can undo her pc at the modem and plug mine in.

Old 08-13-09, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
As I said...I don't think there are ethernet splitters..maybe there are..but it sounds like a switch to me...lol.

As long as you have the required protections in place..I really wouldn't worry.

But shame on you for using her only for internet..yer such a cad! LOL just joshing with you.

Old 08-13-09, 01:45 PM
ethernet splitters split the four pair wire connection into two to two pair drops

Ive done the same thing physically by rewiring the 8 conductor cat5 jacks

it wont work for this application

it works for hard wired Ethernet drops and you need one on each end

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited by mango man; 08-13-09 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 02:04 PM
2 pcs

I was trying to paste an article but it isn't working. It goes on to say what an ethernet splitter is and what it does. I googled "What does an ethernet splitter do?" and looked at an Amazon article.
Sorry I can't do better.
Think I'll get one and give it a try. Don't be offended;it's hardware and $5 -I'll return if if ng.
It shows a picture of a plastic plug with oner female on one side and two on the other and ball are ethernet.
I know this does not mean it will work but it does exist.

Old 08-13-09, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
peterr if MM says it won't work I wouldn't waste the money.

Old 08-13-09, 02:40 PM
my prediction is one side will work and the other won't or neither side will

you wont hurt anything but you wont gain anything either

I'm certainly not offended , there's worse things a man can waste a "fiver" on
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 08-13-09, 03:09 PM
2 pcs

I said 3 females and meant two with a male but I guess you knew that.
I am taking your dependable advice and running my ethernet into her modem>my router>my pc.
It's only a quick plug unplug and she uses the pc about once a week.
The fiver means alot when on S.S.
Thanx for the advice and the savings.