Can't start BITS

Old 08-13-09, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't start BITS

Sometime I was hit by some nasty malware that changed the path my computer has for BITS from %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs to %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs.

The only change is fystemRoot from SystemRoot but it's enough to stop Bits from running and thereby stop me from using Windows Update.

I have been able to see this when I run services.msc, double click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service and look in the "Path to Executable" box but I can't figure out a way to edit that to what I need.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-09, 10:57 PM
Old 08-13-09, 10:59 PM
Figured it out

I had to find the corrupted file first. Mine was in the Registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CURRENT CONTROL SET->SERVICES->BITS

In the right pane, I then had to highlight IMAGE PATH (where the problem was), then go to EDIT, drop down to PERMISSIONS, click that and highlight ADMINISTRATORS (me) in the "Group or User Names" box. Right below that I had to check the box to allow full control and then I could go back and edit the Image Path.

Did that and just now used Windows Update to Downkoad/Install a security update and everything was OK.