Transfering files

Old 08-24-09, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transfering files

Hi Everyone.. Let me first say I know NOTHING about computers & heres my problem... I've bought a new computer that has Vista on it to replace the old one with xp.. I'm told I have to transfer files to the new computer... What is the easy (& safest ) way... & also if I have some spyware or something ( having lots of trouble with the old computer, Really slow etc) does it get transferred as well???? Thanks, Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-09, 08:26 PM
The safest, easiest way to transfer is to use a USB thumb drive. Dump your files on it from the old computer, stick it in the new computer and run a virus scan on it before you drag & drop the files to the new computer.

Old 08-24-09, 10:20 PM
Thanks Rick,,,,as I said, I know nothing about a computer,, I can get a "Thumb drive" @ the local computer store???? When I plug it in (where) is there a window that opens to help me, as an install wizard??? Sorry for the stupid questions, but this is new to me.... Thanks.. Roger

Old 08-25-09, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
Thanks Rick,,,,as I said, I know nothing about a computer,, I can get a "Thumb drive" @ the local computer store???? When I plug it in (where) is there a window that opens to help me, as an install wizard??? Sorry for the stupid questions, but this is new to me.... Thanks.. Roger
You can get thumb drives at most stores that carry electronic equipment. When you plug it in, the computer will install it as a removable device. I have seen some sticks that require driver installation, of which is supplied with the thumb drive, but most setup automatically when you insert the stick in to the USB port.

:rbwest

Old 08-30-09, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
Hi Everyone.. Let me first say I know NOTHING about computers & heres my problem... I've bought a new computer that has Vista on it to replace the old one with xp.. I'm told I have to transfer files to the new computer... What is the easy (& safest ) way... & also if I have some spyware or something ( having lots of trouble with the old computer, Really slow etc) does it get transferred as well???? Thanks, Roger
Hi hopkinsr2. I hope this could help. Because I have a netbook. I have to have a separate storage for my files. And it's 400GB. Sweet right? Makes you super portable.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 08-30-09 at 05:43 AM.