Hp dc5700

Old 08-25-09, 09:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hp dc5700

I have an HP DC5700 computer that completely died and won't boot up. Any time I try to start it up, I get 9 rhythmic beeps in a row several times.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-09, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Franken30 View Post
I have an HP DC5700 computer that completely died and won't boot up. Any time I try to start it up, I get 9 rhythmic beeps in a row several times.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?
It could be a number of items. Anywhere from the power supply to memory will cause a computer to beep several times and not boot up. If your'e able to swap any of the hardware like the memory or power supply, try that.
Should you have four banks of memory, then remove two, try that, then swap with the other two. Make sure that all your cables are correctly inserted properly in to your devices and mother board.

Good luck,

:rbwest

Old 08-26-09, 03:13 PM
I did a little research on the internet and I found out that 9 beeps means ROM BIOS checksum failure. I am trying to understand exactly what that means and is it a problem that can be fixed without the help of a tech.

Old 08-26-09, 07:00 PM
I did a little research on the internet and I found out that 9 beeps means ROM BIOS checksum failure. I am trying to understand exactly what that means and is it a problem that can be fixed without the help of a tech.
Check the battery for the BIOS. Perhaps it is getting weak.

Old 08-26-09, 08:04 PM
Is it safe to assume you're referring to the small round 3v battery mounted on the motherboard?

Old 08-26-09, 08:59 PM
Is it safe to assume you're referring to the small round 3v battery mounted on the motherboard?
yes, however if you decide to remove the battery, go into the BIOS, and note down the settings. Once you remove the battery, the BIOS will set back to default. You will have to reset the clock, date etc.

Old 08-26-09, 09:02 PM
That shouldn't be a problem because this computer hasn't been modified in any way. If replacing that battery doesn't work (which knowing my luck it probably won't), what is the next step?

Old 08-26-09, 09:08 PM
I did a google search and found this:

9 Beeps: ROM BIOS checksum failure

It gives you an explaination, diagnosis, and recommendation.

:rbwest

Old 09-01-09, 06:18 PM
As a followup...

Long story, short: The motherboard was fried. Changing the battery on the mobo allowed the computer to get power but display no video (the video card was onboard). I finally gave in and took it to be looked at by a pro and that was the ultimate verdict.

I have since completely dismantled the computer to use for parts, ram, fan, etc. in other computers.

Thanks for your time and help.