Dell monitor keeps re-booting and then shuts down

Old 08-31-09, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dell monitor keeps re-booting and then shuts down

I have a Dell model E 193FPp monitor. The problem I am having is the monitor blinks off then the "Dell Genisis display perfection" screen comes on, then the screen I had at first comes back, as though I turned the monitor off and then back on again. The monitor repeats this a couple of times then does not come back on. I unplugged it from the UPS thinking I may have a bad socket and plugged it into the wall. Thought that was it when it came on, alas, 5 minutes later started the re-boot sequence again Is this a bad omen? Is my monitor telling me to go out and buy a new one soon? Is there something I can do to prevent it's end? I know the problem is in the monitor because I have an old 14" CRT hooked up now and it works fine. Well except I need much more powerful glasses to see what is on it. Any Ideas? While I was writing this I plugged the monitor in again, just 110, no computer, and the self test square is merrily bouncing off the screen walls mocking me, MOCKING ME, Arrrrrgggggg Will it heat up and start again?? Should I throw it out the window, or simply jump myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-09, 04:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like it's time for a new monitor. I don't think there are any fixes worth trying.

Old 09-01-09, 12:20 AM
To be specific, you plugged the other monitor into the exact same video connector, right? Not the Dell into a DVI, and the old crt into a vga connector?

How about the monitor cable. You used the same cable for the crt that you use for the Dell?

If the same cable, same connector, then it doesn't sound good.
How old is the Dell? They've got a fairly long warranty on some of their lcd panels.

Old 09-01-09, 06:48 AM
I plugged both monitors into the same port on the computer, however, the CRT's cable is not removable from the CRT, therefore I did use different cables. Hmmm, good point! I may have a bad cable. I will try to swap cables.

I believe I bought the Dell in 2005. I wouldn't think it would still be under warranty would it?

Many Thanks for the suggestions!

X

Old 09-01-09, 07:07 PM
Dell's warranty on some monitors is 3/5, with the 3 years being total costs, and the last 2 years being parts only - you pay for labor.

But on a 4 year old monitor, you're almost certainly better off buying a new one as the specs have improved dramatically the last couple of years, and the prices have dropped quite a bit as well.

One last thing I would do, just to be sure is to plug the lcd into another computer.