Please help!!!!

Old 09-06-09, 07:17 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help!!!!

I've never had this happen before. My laptop crashed when my daughter was using to watch video on I-Tunes. The two links below are to two pictures that I took of what my screen looks like presently. I can't see any of my desktop icons and not able to use any apps, surf net, etc. Was wondering if anyone saw this before and if so can help. Is there a way to "reset" my laptop back to the way it was when I received it? Thanks all

FC

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...8/DSC_1102.jpg

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...8/DSC_1103.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-09, 07:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Typical HP laptop screen that needs to be replaced. You can verify this by plugging in a desktop type monitor to the jack on the rear of the computer.

Old 09-06-09, 07:44 AM
From the pictures it looks like your LCD panel is cracked. This is a physical, hardware, problem and can not be reset. Take your finger nail and run it perpendicular to the crack and see if it catches.

Screens aren't too expensive normally running around $100 but they aren't something a novice can replace as it requires significant dis-assembly of the laptop to get to the connectors. Call the manufacturer and find the closest repair center.

Old 09-06-09, 08:52 AM
F
Thanks much to you both. Did not feel a crack when running my fingernail. Will plug in an external monitor to check that avenue. Looks like either way I have to replace.

FC

Old 09-06-09, 02:51 PM
That looks like a HP DV2000 laptop? If so, here's some info for you, and how you can replace this yourself.

LCD screen p/n: 435853-001

How-to Instructions: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035657.pdf

Screen replacement starts on section 5.12 of that above link.

I don't think you will find a new screen for $100 or less, HP's replacement cost is very expensive since it has built in camera, etc. They want something like $600.
You could find some knock off screens for less, but might not be the same quality.

Old 09-07-09, 06:22 AM
F
Jesus...$600 beans for a screen!!! I'll give it a shot and try and replace it myself using the link you provided. Thanks very much for the guidance, Hot. Appreciate it.

FC

Old 09-07-09, 06:27 AM
F
My laptop is a DV2700 model. Quick follow-up question; Do HP laptop screens have a history of breaking? The laptop was not dropped. Can't imagine it would just break like that. It's only two years old.

FC

Old 09-07-09, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I don't think you will find a new screen for $100 or less, HP's replacement cost is very expensive since it has built in camera, etc. ... You could find some knock off screens for less, but might not be the same quality.
On Ebay new replacements are going for 80 to 120 depending on size, resolution, and type. The camera is not built into the screen, its in the lid and will not affect the price of the screen just the difficulty of the swap. As for 'knock offs' there are less than a dozen factories that make these kinds of LCD screens in the world so quality a mute point. The name printed on the label and slapped on the back doesn't make it a better or worse screen.

Originally Posted by fatclemenza View Post
My laptop is a DV2700 model. Quick follow-up question; Do HP laptop screens have a history of breaking? The laptop was not dropped. Can't imagine it would just break like that. It's only two years old.
It can not just crack something had to happen. It doesn't look like a drop crack because those are normally in a corner and it doesn't look like an impact because those have more of a cobweb appearance. LCDs have a bit of flex in them but not much. Your crack probably happened by someone grabbing the top right of the lid and closing or opening it too fast bending the panel and cracking it. HP shells were never made that well but that's nothing new.

Old 09-07-09, 07:54 PM
M
I have cracked a laptop screen before on a Toshiba. It was difficult and I was careful, but I was able to replace it myself. At the time the screen was $400 and it was a newer laptop, so the cost to replace the screen was less than buying a new laptop. BTW, I just saw on slick deals.net that there are refurb dell laptops to be had for under $300.

Old 09-08-09, 07:11 AM
F
Thanks all for the guidance. Appreciate it.

Old 09-09-09, 05:39 PM
My mother in laws HP laptop's screen needs to be replaced already too. Her's has about a dozen multicolor lines going down the screen. It's about 2 years old as well and probably only been used about 10 hrs, if that....out of warranty too. Good luck.

Old 09-10-09, 03:35 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I just had to do a Dell screen replacement. Lamps died. Tried the inverter ($8), but no go. Rather than trying to replace the lamps at $12 each x2, I opted to replace the entire screen for $60. Not too bad if you follow the instructions and disassemble the carcass veeerrrry carefully as the plastic will crack if you aren't careful. Good luck with the replacement. I do agree this is a physical damage caused by flexion of the screen. May not have been intentional, but care needs to be taken and ensure you close the lid from the middle, not the corners.

Old 09-10-09, 09:38 AM
F
Wow....I think for my next laptop I'll go with a different brand than HP.