How To Rename Files Quickly

Old 09-06-09, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How To Rename Files Quickly

I have a lot of pictures I need to rename. I should have done this in the beginning but now I have too many and it would take days to rename them all.

Does anyone know of a free program that renames files quickly? Maybe one that you use and like.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-09, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Right click on the pix, click "rename", rename it, click enter

Old 09-06-09, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I have a lot of pictures I need to rename. I should have done this in the beginning but now I have too many and it would take days to rename them all.

Does anyone know of a free program that renames files quickly? Maybe one that you use and like.
Thank you
One easy way for you to do this is copy your pictures on to a usb flash drive (memory stick). Unplug, then plug it back in. Because it is a removable device, you will then get a pop up window giving you choices. Select "Copy pictures to a folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizzard". Doing so, will read your files on your USB stick then pop up a Scanner and Camera Wizzard. Follow the prompts, by selecting or deselecting what ever files (pictures) you wish to transfer over, then click next. From there you can rename the group of pictures ie: "Summer Vacation - " and where you want them to be copied to.
Once you click next, it will copy the pictures to the place that you indicated renaming all photos like this example: "Summer Vacation - 001.jpg", "Summer Vacation - 002.jpg", etc.

Hope this helps you.

:rbwest

Old 09-06-09, 09:57 PM
I checked at Download.com for a possible solution. There are hundereds of programs that you could try. One that seems to be highly rated is BatchPhoto 2.5 You can download it and try it for 30 days without charge. If you like it and want to purchase it, the price is $59.95.

I can do a lot of renaming for that. But if you have hundreds of pictures maybe that program would help. I can't personally vouch for it at all. I don't do much with digital photography.

Go to Download.com, type in Batchphoto and you'll find the one I've mentioned. (There may be less expensive ones that would work for you.) I only spent a few minutes looking.

To get a lot of hits for this type software, use the phrase "Photo Renamer" or "File Renamer". It will keep you busy for awhile reading through all that you find.

Old 09-07-09, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Right click on the pix, click "rename", rename it, click enter
Very funny

I'll try the USB way and will also look for File Renamers.
Thanks

Old 09-07-09, 06:09 AM
Google "Bulk Rename Utility". This is a free renaming program which may be of help.

Jeff

Old 09-07-09, 11:08 PM
Click on any blank spot in the folder > then press CTRL + A to highlight all the items > Now right click one of the pics and select Rename.

When you rename that pic, every single pic in the folder will be renamed with your description plus 1,2,3, etc...

Old 09-09-09, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Praxius View Post
Google "Bulk Rename Utility". This is a free renaming program which may be of help.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Very funny

I'll try the USB way and will also look for File Renamers.
Thanks
I don't think he was joking. He's right, select the photos you want to rename (select multiple files at once) and right click on them and rename, it will rename all the selected files.

Old 09-09-09, 03:32 PM
You're right, there was no fun intended. Even with "renaming" programs, you will have to rename each picture to maintain its identity, or suffer through with the tag numbers on each one.
My wife saves pictures to her thumb drive generically, and then begs me to help her "organize" it after she does it a hundred times.

Old 09-09-09, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What exactly is the problem with the current names what sort of name or naming system do you want to use?

Is it that you have them coming off the camera with the camera's file name and you want to name the pics with something like "summer09"?

Old 09-10-09, 09:21 AM
I keep a small batch file called "FixName.bat" on my SD card in my camera. I have always had Canon cameras and the file names are always the same: "IMG_nnnn.jpg". With each new camera and with my wife also having a Canon camera, there could be a problem with duplicate file names. I simply replace the "_" with a letter by running the batch file before moving the photos to my computer. My current batch file contains the following three lines of text:

ren IMG_*.* IMGy*.*
ren MVI_*.* MVIy*.*
ren ST?_*.* ST?y*.*

This file renames all of the Canon PowerShot file types by replacing the "_" with "y".

Each camera has its own version of the batch file. As an added benefit, when looking through a folder of photos, I can immediately identify which camera was used based on the file name.

Old 09-10-09, 12:35 PM
But to me that ain't "renaming" the files. I would think "Cody at fair" would be renaming, eliminating the generic stamping by the computer or camera. Knowing which camera took the pix may be helpful, but who is in the picture?

Old 09-11-09, 05:00 AM
There is only one way to rename a batch of photos with unique and descriptive names: Manually, one at a time. A Macro Recorder can help by playing back common keystrokes.

My camera allows me to change the filename before we snap the pictures. It then adds the numbers to the filename.

Old 09-11-09, 11:34 AM
Irfanview has a handy renaming feature. It is free imaging software.

Old 09-11-09, 05:24 PM
"THE RENAME" is another free program ive used and works well.