KVM switch with PS/2 and USB outputs

Old 09-11-09, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
KVM switch with PS/2 and USB outputs

I have a PC running Windows Vista32 with PS/2 keyboard and mouse connections and a DVI monitor. I want to share that PC's keyboard/mouse/monitor with another PC running XP Pro that only has USB ports (no PS/2 ports for mouse or keyboard) and a DVI video port. Anyone know of a good/reliable KVM switch that uses a DVI monitor (in and out), a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse for inputs, and supports both a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for output?

If not, anyone had any good luck with a PS/2 to USB adapter that is "down stream" from a KVM switch (i.e., PS/2 keyboard and mouse cables between the KVM switch and PC, with a PS/2 to USB adapter on the PC end of the cable(s).

Thanks,
Ira

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-09, 12:15 AM
I don't think I'd waste money on a KVM or other gizmos that may or may not work reliably.

Put an A/B switch on the DVI, or if the monitor has both DVI and VGA inputs, use one for the Vista and the other for the XP. DVI to VGA adapter cables are widely available.

The Vista PC no doubt has USB. Buy a USB keyboard and mouse and swap them from one machine to the other. Bring USB extension cables to the desktop to make it easier to swap.

Or, you could network them and make one of them a remote.

Old 09-13-09, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by ibroussard View Post

If not, anyone had any good luck with a PS/2 to USB adapter that is "down stream" from a KVM switch (i.e., PS/2 keyboard and mouse cables between the KVM switch and PC, with a PS/2 to USB adapter on the PC end of the cable(s).

Thanks,
Ira
Yes. I have 2 of these downstream from the PS2 KVM to connect 2 of my USB-only Win 2003 servers:
TRENDnet | Products | USB Devices | TU-PS2

They work flawlessly. 3 more are on order due to their "handyness."