Hooking up laptop to lcd tv

Old 09-18-09, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hooking up laptop to lcd tv

My son broke his screen and it's too much to fix so I hooked it up to his lcd tv. I looked up how to make it work and used an s-video cable pressed f-4 and it worked. Now he unplugged it then I re-hooked it up the same way pressed f-4 and now nothing. I even tried fn f-4, fcn f-2, f-8 etc. and nothing is working. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-09, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Our answers may be on the absurd, sometimes, but was the LCD TV turned on? Have you rebooted the computer? I would not unplug anything unless the computer was in an "off" state. After rebooting both the TV and computer, pressing the Fn key and which ever F key that has CRT/LCD on it should switch from the broken screen to the LCD. You may be hitting too many keys and disabling certain parts of your computer unless you are hitting them properly. On mine Fn-F2 turns off the internet antenna; Fn-End mutes the volume, etc. Press the Fn key and the right key. Don't just go poking keys in hopes it will magically fix itself. Have you gone through your bios to see how things are configured?

Old 09-18-09, 03:30 PM
I will look closer to the F keys but all I did was f-4 and f-2 and I did not use the fn key or when I pressed the f-4 but maybe on f-2. Anyway I will just look again to see which one is correct. Meanwhile I know he disconnected it when it was on so I will try to reboot both and try again. I will not just press buttons out of frustration anymore. I will check it out and reply on the results. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-18-09, 04:22 PM
still no worky any more options???

Old 09-18-09, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
How about making sure that when you "rebooted" the TV it was set to the correct input.
Also, does this laptop have an analog video out you can connect to a standard monitor.

As chandler has said it is possible to disable things with keystrokes and you could have turned off the video.
Check the manual to see what does what.

Old 09-20-09, 03:42 AM
Yeah, I second that vote in checking the input selection on the LCD monitor, that's like, "video 1, video 2, s video" and so on. I don't know what your remote looks like, but I am sure I'd be able to tell you what buttons to push if I saw it, or at least if I just messed with it enough