LCD TV for Monitor

Old 09-19-09, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LCD TV for Monitor

When using a LCD TV for a monitor, is it better to use the DVI to HDMI cable or a regular RGB cable. This will only be one monitor, not a second monitor. I was wondering if the DVI output on the video card works with only one monitor.

Also, will windows XP automatically go into widescreen mode or do you need to adjust the resolution? I don't want to use the TV if it is not a true 16:9 display.

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-09, 12:59 PM
I would use the DVI if the TV supports it, better resolution if you are watching something in HD on the computer. I also think the resolution capability will depend on your video card that is sending the signal to teh TV. You can usually check the manufactures website for the specs.

Old 09-20-09, 03:38 AM
Hmm, I'd be surprised if your video card had an HDMI port, most don't, I think some of the newer ones do. DVI is traditionally (these days) the way to go, don't use RGB.

As for the display, you'd need to find out what the LCD's native resolution is, essentially windows XP can display in pretty much anything the monitor can accept, the frequency, display sizes are all pretty much determined by the monitor, you can choose which sizing you'd pick. I always go with the largest I can which is usually referred to 'native resolution'. If the monitor is wide screen, then you'll get your display in wide screen so long as you select the appropriate settings.

When you are setting up, and you are at the desktop, right click any where on the desktop itself where there is open space and click properties. Go to the furthest right tab, it should be called 'settings'. Look around there, that should give you what you want. Be certain you have the appropriate drivers for your video card as well. If you want, you might even want to go and update the drivers. I always uninstall the drivers and delete it's folder before installing new drivers. For some reason there's often conflicts other wise.