UPS Problems

Old 09-20-09, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
UPS Problems

I have a 550VA UPS made by APC.

The last four nights it will start the 4 beeps every 30 seconds. This is supposed to mean it is on battery power.

Problem is it's not on battery power. My modem and router are plugged into the non-battery outlets and they have power so it's getting power.

Status screen says, "Last transfer to battery" was 3 weeks ago for noise. I don't get it. Also, the computer is shut down at night when this happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Baldwin

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-09, 09:21 AM
Only way I can get it to shut up is to shut it off. Annoying at 3 AM.

Battery reads 100%

Old 09-20-09, 12:11 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm betting the battery has gone bad. The smaller units are notorious battery users.

If you email APC they can help you determine the issue, and whether the unit is still under warranty.

Old 09-20-09, 05:56 PM
It could be so I did a mickey mouse test today after reading a million threads on the APC forum.

Unplugged everything from the UPS then plugged in a 40 watt desk lamp for 5 minutes. Maybe should have used something bigger.

UPS worked as it should. After firing everything else back up UPS software said battery power at 88% and didn't take long at all to get to 100%.

This thing is only 18 months old but I've read where the batteries fail after 14, 16 and 18 months even though APC says they should last 3 to 5 years. Guarantee is only 12 months on the battery.

One thing I don't understand is if you buy a new battery it will be right around $50. However, they have a trade in policy where I can get the same output unit, free shipping to and from here, and the cost is only $59. There must be some angle here I just don't see.

Thanks, we'll see if it beeps again tonight. It's not beeping for low battery, it's running on battery that wakes me up. Oh well.

Baldwin

Old 09-20-09, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Is it possible that you have dirty power?

We are in a somewhat remote area where trees are near the power lines.
When we get storms my UPS will squawk and I can sometimes tell when the power will go out by the frequency of the beeps.

Old 09-21-09, 01:50 PM
3:10 AM .....beep....beep....beep.....beep

Dirty power? I don't think so but you never know. On 9/11 it shut down twice for a total of 9 seconds for 'electrical noise'. I don't understand why it's not being recorded as something the last few nights.

I have the sensitivity set on 'high' right now, I think I'll put it on medium and see if that does anything. Maybe even leave the computer on tonight and if it beeps I'll see what it says, if anything.

Thanks,

Baldwin

Old 09-21-09, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This sounds like you are either sucking down too much power, the battery is bad, or the device is simply broken.